Report Abuse

Was recently deeded 2 Marriott timeshares. Could use some advice

I am completely new to timeshare. My parents recently transferred ownership to deeded units both at the Royal Palms in Orlando. They are each 2 bedrooms, one in the red season and one in white. I have minimal interest in vacationing in Orlando. My understanding is I have 2 options. I can sign up for Interval International and exchange the units along with paying the various transfer fees. If I go this route do I have a reasonable option of exchanging for other Marriott locations (or other similar type resorts)? Alternately, I can opt to enroll these units (paying $2,395) and receive 3,800 Points. Looking at the various points charts for resorts I am interested in (for example the locations in Aruba or Hawaii) it looks like I would have enough points to book something. Questions - Would you recommend I convert to points? It seems there are some downsides if you have a home resort you really like but I am not sure it applies in my case. If I were to enroll, should I try increase my total points to be above 4,000 (move from Owner to Select level)? Is it worth it? Could I just buy these points resale or is there going to be an issue with combining enrollment points and points from a resale or even just buying direct from Marriott? Thank you