Report Abuse

Re: timesharing 101

I can agree with everything stated, We bought our first time share 20 yrs. ago in Key West, when Hyatt built there first one "Sunset Harbor" we still own it only because as #1 rule, buy only where you would go back, year after year. Back then Hyatt had people suckering you in literally on every block, plus several bldgs. you enter in to get more info. Back then our MF's were around 300.00 a year, now just a shade under 1600.00 a year. OK I understand hurricane damage, taxes, and up keep on the properties. Along with a slush fund for unforeseen things that may arise. But the one thing that has always griped me was the people that you supposedly vote on the board to supposedly oversee the interest of the association Most people have life experiences that are a definite benefit, money, construction, real estate, etc. But the one that always gets me, is "developer" Now if we are talking "developer" in the truest sense, would that be the origination who's name out front, or the origination or holding company that built it. Sunset case being Hyatt has a seat, and EVERY NOW AND THEN the builder gets one in(SPOTWOOD). Now I know what you're thinking, and that true, "owner representation". Just seems funny that at certain times nothing goes in the "OWNERS FAVOR". I was privileged to sit in on a conference call, at Sunset with the board and the manager of the resort, along with another owner, As we had some concerns we wanted addressed. Given that opportunity in conclusion the question was asked by a board member "WHO ARE THOSE PEOPLE".....and here I thought we were all owners ! At that time one of the builders had a seat on the board. Have you ever tried to contact one of the people that represents you, after you voted them in ?? Lotsa luck with that. All this to say if you buy in to a time share BE PROACTIVE, attend the meetings if you can. If not when the time comes to vote on new board members, "ASK QUESTIONS"