Report Abuse

Re: I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

[Q=gerards23] I too am amazed that the TimeShare industry still exists & thrives.There is no reason for anyone to "own" a week of vacation time when you can book rooms anywhere & anytime of year you choose. What is it you're paying for, Time? It's the same thing when you book rooms yourself at any resort or hotel. Except with TimeShare you now own a deed, maintenance fees, and property tax. [/Q] Yes and no. Those "rooms" may be just that -- "rooms" -- not small apartments with living/dining areas, partial if not full kitchens, separate private bedrooms, in-unit laundry facilities, etc. Some of us just plain *** hate *** going on vacation and staying in hotel or resort "rooms" and having to eat most if not all meals out or else -- if breakfast is not included -- making do with donuts from a bakery, grocery deli or restaurant carryout, and in-room microwaves to save a few bucks. The trick with timeshares, of course, is to buy a deed as cheaply as possible -- via ads in Redweek, TUG, etc. -- on the secondary/resale market. Just do some arithmetic: Suppose you buy a timeshare you like and in which you would like to stay (a key point, so you don't have to pay those outrageous RCI or II exchange fees) on the resale market for, say, $2500 including closing costs and fees. Also suppose your first year maintenance is $750 and that fee increases about 3% per year. At the end of five years you would have spent about $4000 on maintenance fees. Your total sunk cost for five weeks of vacation -- purchase price plus maintenance -- would be about $6500 for 35 nights or about $185 a night. Is that a "good deal" or not? You decide.