Report Abuse

Ideal world vs. the real world

I certainly know how it all works John, after several decades of direct personal involvement with timeshares (as a RESALE owner, never in any way associated with or ever employed by the industry --- and I never bought directly from a developer). I don't disagree with a word you've said but I respectfully note that we simply don't live in an "ideal" world. Instead, we live right here in the "real" world. Yes indeed, one of us need to "get real" here, but I'm not convinced that it's me.... Let's be honest ---- the one and only reason that Wyndham has its' "Ovation" program, or that DRI has its' own version of the same thing, is that they realize that they can basically get their (carefully screened and selected) "products" back for free, thereby creating new inventory to then just sell all over again (having sold it once already for tens of thousands of dollars). They then just turn right around and sell that exact same product all over gain to someone else --- once again for tens of thousands of dollars. A smart and profitable business practice for them, certainly. However, are you aware of the fact that since adoption of the Wyndham "Ovation" program, of the 50,000 Wyndham supplicants, only about HALF have actually been accepted? In other words, Wyndham doesn't want back and will not take anything that they can't turn right around and sell all over again for big bucks. So, what kind of solution is THAT for the other +/- 25,000 people for whom the Wyndham answer i simply "No, we won't take THAT back --- keep it"? I'd also note that small independent timeshare facilities (of which there are many) without Wyndham's deep corporate pockets and marketing capabilities and sales personnel and sales facilities have no such option or capability available to them at all. Tell me, just what is a (unpaid, volunteer) HOA at a smaller timeshare facility possibly going to do with "returned" timeshares, which were once bought freely and voluntarily by their owners? Is that somehow a (volunteer, unpaid) HOA responsibility or problem to accept? Personally, I think not. I did not invent the concept of "in perpetuity", but it's an indisputable legal fact here in the "real" world. Do I wish it was different? Sure --- but it ain't. THAT's "real" --- like it or not.