Report Abuse

Re: Renting your timeshare.....people often change their minds once you've made the reservation.

First everybody starts off with trust issues till you start getting repeat renters. We need to rent our places, they need a place to rent. Trust goes both ways. You are putting trust in the renter here, doing all the work finding out they backed out or found a better deal. It cost me $94 to make a reservation. I have done this myself only to get burned. Renting from a place like Redweek is pretty safe. If somebody wrongs somebody, it will be brought up in the forums. Redweek pushes escrow service, I see the choice on every inquiry. I don't do this. My assessments and taxes are due now for next years reservations. If escrow is used, you don't get paid till the vacation begins. I reserve prime spots 10 months out if you want these vacations. I get a 20% deposit upfront by PayPal to reserve the vacation and change the reservation name. This is non-refundable after 12 hours giving the new renter a chance to look over the reservation, call the front desk to confirm name on the reservation. The reservation needs to be paid in full 60 days before the vacation. I require 50% of balance paid within 5 business days by check non-refundable. Balance paid within the 60 day start date. PayPal can be used, many are more comfortable using this method, so I offer a 3% up-charge to compensate the PayPal fee. If I do not get paid as noted, the reservation will be canceled or revert back to my name till rented again. This would be the only reason to change the reservation is non-payment. I do not allow renter change reservation name once it has been rented. You have to get money up front and non-returnable to assure the commitment for your vacation you are offering. Insurance is available for renter to protect vacation investment for unforeseen reasons to cancel and I note this would be a good protection plan. You can adjust the plan to fit your needs. Good luck , we are working with a lady now for a Hawaii trip to book. She wants to book it before we pay anything. I am trusting her she will do this for us but I would have felt better paying a deposit. In my mind would assure reserving our stay. Dave