Report Abuse

A free speech issue --- or just a common courtesy issue?

[Q] It's just a matter of finding forums will allow me to exercise free speech, even if it is contrary to the forum owner's agenda. Obviously TUG won't allow that. So far so good here at Redweek, but we shall see! [/Q] I must admit to being VERY puzzled by this statement, having actively read (and actively participated in) both TUG and RedWeek forums for a fair number of years now. For the record, I have absolutely NO affiliation with either TUG or RedWeek, other than being a paying member of both sites and being an occasional participant in the forums of both of those timeshare-related sites. No one gets "censored" and very few people have ever been permanently "booted" or "banned" from TUG, as far as I know. Getting permanently banned from TUG is very difficult to accomplish, except for the obvious "shills" trying to subtly peddle their products or "services". Getting booted from TUG has nothing to do with any (non-existent, to my knowledge) "forum owner's agenda", nor is it being a "victim of repressed free speech". Instead, getting banned from TUG is EARNED only with great difficulty and effort; the result of a consistently demonstrated unwillingness (or perhaps just an outright inability) to engage in courteous discourse and, when disagreeing with others, doing so WITHOUT personal attack, or being unnecessarily offensive and / or overly obnoxious. While a behavioral standard of simple common courtesy would seem to be entirely reasonable for most people, unfortunately it seems to be "a hurdle just too high to clear" for a very few. Just my own personal observations and personal opinion.