Report Abuse

He's BAAACK...

[Q=jlb] Anyone here involved with the problems being encountered by legacy resorts?[/Q] To which specific "problems being encountered" do you refer? As an owner at several different "legacy" resorts (and a sitting BoD member at one of them), I am aware that there are numerous, assorted issues of current and / or future concern. I am directly and routinely "involved with" ALL of those issues and would be glad to participate in discussing them. One major issue facing many "legacy" resorts today, particularly in Florida (where I believe you live) is that of "sunset clauses" in the underlying governing documents (a.k.a. Condo Covenants & Restrictions, often more simply abbreviated as CC&R's). These "sunset clauses" may identify a specific "end date" for the property as a timeshare (often 40 years after initial construction in Florida CC&R's ).The end of that 40 year time period is fast approaching for many "legacy resorts" in FL, originally built in the early 1980's. The "problems" associated with sunset clauses are many, notably including widely different language and mechanisms (and owner vote requirements) reflected within those CC&R's. Some CC&R's have quite onerous majority vote standards and requirements. Others are just very poorly and very vaguely worded on the subject. Some HOA's, even today, are just plain clueless about proactively tackling this very real and imminent "problem". At all of the facilities at which we own intervals, the CC&R sunset clause "end date" issue has already been addressed and formally, legally extended by owner majority vote. Unfortunately, at some other places, an "ostrich" (non) strategy seems to be in place so far (i.e., stick your head in the sand and just ignore the issue). Those latter chickens will of course come home to roost at some point, with unintended and unexpected (and unwelcome) consequences. Aging infrastructure (and the cost to support and maintain it) is a separate but related issue at "legacy" resorts. An aging owner base is also a concern, since there seems to be much less interest in timeshare ownership in younger generations, particularly among millennials, so keeping a strong ownership base (and reasonable maintenance fees) is a challenge. Some aging owners who now want "out" of their ownership obligations are unwilling to exert much (if any) effort to find a new owner for the intervals they once voluntarily chose to purchase. Some even want or expect their Homeowners Association to willingly take over their (freely chosen) personal responsibility and legal obligation; few HOA's will ever do so. I am otherwise unclear about any other (unspecified) "problems" at legacy resorts to which your post makes only vague passing reference, but I would certainly enjoy engaging in substantive discussion once / if you can more clearly identify your intended point.