Report Abuse

Re: Anfi Del Mar, Gran Canaria

In 2002 I bought 2 weeks in a 1 bed apt in Monte Anfi, later the same year I agreed to upgrade to the unfinished Gran Anfi, 2 bed for two weeks, all contracts were floating. As Gran was unfinished I was given a temporary contract for a "special" apartment in Monte, this being a 1 bed for 6 persons, ok so these do not exist but I wasn't to know that at the time. In 2003 I was apparently upgraded to Gran Anfi. I have spent 16 years trying to get Anfi to give me a copy of that contract, most requests have been ignored but later ones were met with a blank refusal. The case is now in court awaiting a decision and still Anfi have not handed over the complete contract. Something else has now come to light which I find disturbing and that is TUI's involvement. I originally booked a holiday with Thomson. At the welcome meeting I was told that I could visit this beautiful place with a white sand beach etc, no mention of it being timeshare was made. I did visit the place, Anfi, and to be fair I thought it was quite wonderful but I was subjected to almost a whole day of hard sell etc. My point is that at that time TUI held a 51% share in Anfi and also that Thomson was owned by TUI. I assume that TUI, being a large European company would have their own lawyers who would oversee the legailty of the sales at Anfi yet they seemed to just go along with Anfi's dubious sales practices and even more dubious contracts. In 2004 Tui are reported as saying that they were selling their share in Anfi, the two reasons being that they had been unable to change Anfi's dubious sales practices and that they had successfully marketed 86% of Gran Anfi. Now as Gran Anfi was only completed in 2003 this means that they sold approximately 8000 weeks in little over a year. From this it is clear that TUI were aware of the bad practices at Anfi and I find their statement regarding bad practices a bit much as they seem to have been quite happy to take huge profits as a result of those practices. How honest are their remarks, given that they actively promoted Anfi through their tour operators. What is also noticeable that TUI apparently decided to sell their stake in Anfi at a time when there was little left to sell. I find it odd that with all the recent court cases TUI's part has never been addressed.