Report Abuse

There are TWO sides in every transaction...

[Q=mixvib] It seems that paying via a cashier's check for the second half of a timeshare rental fee when you have nothing in hand to guarantee you are getting something is a mistake. I asked for an explanation of why you are not allowed to pay via credit card (where I do have some insurance) and was given a very short, nasty response by First American "because that's our policy". Can anyone tell me why you can not pay via credit card? Is this typical? I have never taken a vacation and had anyone tell me I have to pay "cash" for a travel expense. On a side note, the owner we are dealing with is very good. Certainly no complaints there.[/Q] I can't and won't speak for First American, but will note that [b]your[/b] "insurance" if using a credit card is actually a [b]risk[/b] for the other side, since any credit card charge can always be disputed (even several weeks [b]after[/b] successful [b]completion[/b] of a rental). Even if a credit card dispute is ultimately found to be without any validity or any basis and the "complainant" loses the dispute, weeks and weeks will have passed before the timeshare owner receives his / her final payment (for a rental that may have been completed a month ago by then). In short, I personally agree 100% with a "no credit cards for final payment" policy in [b]any[/b] rental transaction. Your perspective is solely that of a tenant, but there is another perspective on this matter too, which is that of the timeshare owner. Just sayin'...