Report Abuse

Florida Veterans Assistance Association

[Q=marjoriem12] Does anyone have current information on a "charity" called Florida Veterans Assistance Association? They are willing to accept our timeshare as a donation. But they are asking for more than $3,000 up front and guaranteeing to provide the paperwork for a tax deduction of $5,000. I know, I know, I know . . . DON'T PAY ANTHING UPFRONT to get rid of a timeshare, but we are anxious to get out of the timeshare business. We can't find any current information about this establishment. Has anyone had an experience (good or bad) with these people. Thanks.[/Q] I realize this is two years late, but it is an answer for those wondering about FVAA. The man in charge of it, Travis, was placed under investigation about mid-2018 by the FCC. Since then nothing's been heard from them. As for some of the other posts, "EVERYTHING'S A SCAM!!!" at least as far as fools are concerned. Always check with the resort to try to give it back to them. Jump through hoops if necessary. Some resorts will take it back, but most just grin all the way to the bank every year with your maintenance fees. Offer it FREE or for $1 everywhere you can. Give it to Don P. If you decide to use some service that guarantees to get you out for a fee, do your due diligence to find out how they will do it. Make sure you use some escrow company or licensed professional to hold the money to control who gets the money when the time is up based on a contract. As for who pays the cost? How much profit can a resort make if they sell a timeshare a second time AFTER they've already been paid ALL cost of construction and set up of the resort initially. Do they have to discount it as a "used" timeshare? It seems to me it's a great profitable idea for the resort to get such a freebie to sell for full price again. How about the HOA taking it back and putting it on the sales table at the resort? They should have some pull with that process unless they're simply window dressing for the developer. As for blocking a real estate transfer, the resort has no legal right unless stated within their original contract for such things as "first Right of Refusal" or "No Corporation". The only legal right the resort has is to refuse use of the timeshare to the new owner. Real estate law has been around for almost 1000 years, is fundamentally the same in all states and most English speaking countries because of "common law" (look it up). Resorts can't arbitrarily ignore it and ignore the legal transfer of title which only requires agreement between the buyer and seller. *What about the bank? They can't stop a transfer, just mess with the financing and foreclosure if the financing contract isn't satisfied. When all else fail, ask someone who's done it, not the screamer who admits ignorance.