Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Some variables not mentioned... (by KC):

I'm not sure why this topic was broached in the "Exchanges" forum in the first place, but.... Laurae9:

You make an interesting case above, but one which overlooks a few critically important and relevant factors:

1. Maintenance fees will generally increase virtually each and every year --- they are NOT going to stay the same. A good rule of thumb is to expect a minimum 6% annual increase, at least in my own experience. Rental costs don't actually seem to keep pace with those mf increases. 2. Special assessments inevitably occur. These are unexpected and unwelcome (but also generally unavoidable) timeshare ownership costs which occur over and above the costs of annual maintenance fees.

Factor the above two items in and your "return on investment" figures weaken considerably. I'm not "naysaying" here; I own several timeshares and I will certainly continue to do so, but I respectfully submit that timeshares can very rarely be honestly regarded as a good "financial" investment. That said, their value for guaranteed vacations at times and places of your advance choice has an intrinsic value of its own which can't easily be quantified --- but which is certainly separate and apart from just that of mere dollars and cents. Just my opinion...