Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Timeshares - compulsory inheritance? (by Mike N.):

babso2 wrote:
I own two timeshares (fully paid up) with right to use until 2062. In the event of my death, would my will beneficiaries be liable for the maintenance charges if I have not written the timeshare into the will, or does the timeshare automatically become part of my estate?

If the latter is true can I specifically will it back to the resort so that my will beneficiaries do not have to pick up the maintenance charges?

I would appreciate your help on this. Many thanks, Babs

This topic has been discussed a few times here and on the TUG Forum.

Based on what I've read from these forums is... You heirs are not obligated to take the timeshare even if it was part of your will. In that case, your estate is responsible for paying the MFs, taxes, etc, until the funds in your estate are exhausted.

You can will it to the resort, but they do not have to accept it either.

However upon you demise, the executor of the estate puts a notice in local newspaper informing all interested parties of the situation. From what I've read, creditors have a limited time frame to collect any monies from the estate. After that time is up, then the estate can be closed. The resort cannot go back to the estate several years later to collect back fees.

Again, this is all based on what I've read in various forums. I would recommend talking to a lawyer who is well versed in these matters.