Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Diamond Resorts International (DRI) "THE CLUB" Points Program & Converting your Week to Points (by Charles S.):

Hello,

I am a DRI owner. I am in The Club and have 30000 points per year. I have enjoyed the program a great deal. It offers lots of flexibility. The DRI resorts for the most part are ok. Some are very, very nice while others need some refurbishment. DRI's maintenance fees have increased significantly over the last couple of years. This has been cause of great concern for many members. There have been lots of complaints as the MF's have caused many to try and sell their memberships. On the other hand, DRI has been doing a lot to improve their resorts. I have been to several since they have taken over. I have been to Grand Beach, Palm Springs, Scottdale Links and Scottsdale Village Mirage and they have improved the rooms immensely. I have read a lot about the Ka'anapali Beach Club, which I will visit this summer and have heard they have improved that property as well. They have also added additional resorts throughout the world to their club program. Which is good so you don't have to pay exchange fees.

To fully take advantage the accommodations, it will be important to make your reservations in advance if at all possible. It just makes your chances of getting what you want a whole lot better.

I do know that most posters on other sites have said that those who convert to points have had to buy additional points to join the Club and that $2990 to convert seems to be about right.

One thing I would caution you about is being able to get the same 2 bdrm at the same times you were able to exchange when you were a deeded owner. Look at the Directory and make sure your 12,000 points can get you a 2 bedroom when you desire. I don't understand week 13 floating week. If you have week 13 sounds like that's a fixed week. A floating week means it will float during the year or a season. I am now concerned because you have a problem if they only gave you 12000 points. Did you know that a 2 bdroom at Polo Towers Suites needs 12,000 points in high season but 15,000 during peak season. If you could "float" your week you have lost the ability to use you 2 bdrm during other peak season unless you save a year's worth of points to do so.

You will need to review what your family needs are. If you need a 2bdrm most of the time because you have children, there are some places in which you won't be able to get a 2bdrm unless you save and have 2 years worth of points. An example of this is Maui where there is only one DRI resort with 2 bedrooms. The minimum for that 2 bedroom is 15,500. This should be considered since you will be paying 2 years of fees for one week. Of course you could use Interval International but that would cause you to pay exchange fees.

There are lots of things I can share. However, you need to really think about what you want. Where do you want to go? How many are traveling with you? How do you wish to use your memberships? What size of unit do you need? Can you afford rising MF's? Do you have ability in your vacations to make reservations a year to 10 months in advance?

I would also suggest you use timeshareforums.com There are more DRI owners there. They can also help you more and you will get more responses.