Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Marriott Going to Point System (by Gregory B.):

Right on schedule, Marriott sent out information today about their new points program. I really hope that existing owners will shun this. If a majority of existing owners opt to convert their deeded weeks, then Marriott will take control of the board of directors and owners will lose any control over decision-making. It seems that all new MVCI sales will be for points - not deeded weeks (effective June 20, 2010). It is interesting that Marriott's clever language doesn't inform you that you will pay MVCI thousands of dollars for the "privilege" of giving up your deeded week. The former Embassy Suites Vacation Club did a similar conversion to a points system, and the resulting horror stories are endless - including a number of nasty lawsuits.

Personally I think it is a big mistake and a betrayal of trust to the current owners. Too many opportunities for Marriott to game the system with a points-based model. I am very disappointed to see Marriott is changing the rules like this. If I wanted membership in a points-based timeshare system, I would have gone that direction from the start (there is certainly no lack of those programs to choose from already). I have avoided other points-based timeshare programs precisely because I am uncomfortable with the concept. The Marriott brand has had a reputation of trust and integrity that owners rely on. Perhaps Marriott has forgotten that a good reputation takes years to build and minutes to lose - very sad.

Text from Marriott appears below ...

================

Introducing the next evolution in vacationing - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program - a new usage option that is a flexible, easy-to-use, and points-based approach to vacationing.

And because it is an option, once you enroll, each year you can choose to use your ownership as you have in the past or elect to receive Vacation Club Points.

Enroll in the Exchange Program and Enjoy These New Benefits: Enhanced flexibility at Marriott Vacation Club resorts - check in any day of the week, during any season, in any accommodation size, for as long as you want.* More vacation choices like access to the Explorer Collection for adventure travel, cruises, safaris & guided tours to global landmarks, and urban hotel experience packages.** A simplified fee structure, so you don't have to pay separate fees such as Interval International membership or for exchanges to other Marriott Vacation Club resorts.***

Special Introductory Enrollment Offer

Enroll for a one-time, low introductory enrollment fee structure, starting at $595 and if you enroll by December 31, 2010, you will receive a bonus of 800 Vacation Club PlusPoints - good for two to five additional nights at any Marriott Vacation Club resort depending on the resort, room type and season.

Learn More During Your Upcoming Stay

You are encouraged to meet with a Sales Executive during your upcoming stay. You will be contacted prior to your arrival to schedule a time that works for you.

You can also call 866-363-8214 to speak with a Sales Executive, 1-800-845-4226 to speak with Owner Services, or visit My-VacationClub.com for more details or to enroll online.