Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Marriott Going to Point Syst (by Thomas N.):

I just spent some time on the MVCI site reading about the new points program and my initial impression is that this is a total disaster. Apparently Marriott is out for some quick cash by trying to persuade existing owners to convert to the points program and pay the fee. Also, it would seem that Marriott has made the decision not to build new properties, but to focus attention simply on being a reservation service.

There is no doubt Marriott is trying to undermine existing owners. If we had wanted a points program, we would have purchased through Hilton, or Westin, or Disney, etc.

Initially this points program sounds tremendously flexible, and Marriott even has an impressive calculator on the MVCI site for converting your own timeshare(s) into desired reservations. However, upon further investigation, the program HAS A BASIC FLAW. That is, the arbitrary assignment of points to your own property(s) is, in most cases, inequitable.

They make the point that if you do not like the new points program, just do nothing and trade through Interval International, as in the past. This is another obvious FLAW in the new program, because if a significant owners are persuaded to convert, then II will no longer have the inventory needed for trades. As a result, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO OPERATE AS IN THE PAST.

I feel totally betrayed by Marriott. Hopefully, my initial impression of the new system is wrong. I am interested in the thoughts of others.