Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Instead of kids paying to unload TS, can parents "will" it to Obama? (by R P.):

emmac27 wrote:
It seems to me like the timeshare system should be forced to take back timeshares they've sold, when the owners die and decendents don't want the timeshare. What do you think? Do you know if there is any legal action being taken to clarify that decendents, who don't want to inherit a timeshare, are not responsible for future fees and taxes of a timeshare? And that current fees and taxes come out of the estate one time and then the timeshare retu;rns to the company that originally sold it.

I think this is a fair statement, however a timeshare week is recorded in the property deed records of a county .... even though timeshares are not regular real estate they're still recorded as property owned in that county in a person's name (in this case, the decedent's). This is not just a piece of paper stuck in a file cabinet in the resort's office saying who the owner is .... the deed is recorded at the county courthouse as deeded property.

I think any person that is involved in the estate of decedent that owned a timeshare should first call the resort with proof the owners have died (death certificate) and they might take it back, but don't hold your breath as it would be at the discretion of the HOA or developer .... I have no idea how many resorts have done this in the past.

If you really want official help with this endeavor, after you have paid the maintenance fees for the year being billed, you would need to consult a real estate attorney as to what the estate is officially responsible for in future years and maybe the attorney can work with the resort.

As it stands now, the estate is responsible for all fees until the ownership is transferred out of the decedent's name.