Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Diamond Resorts International (DRI) "THE CLUB" Points Program & Converting your Week to Points (by Charles S.):

jonw134 wrote:
I have a 2 Bed LO at Mystic Dunes that I inherited and am trying to decide what to do with and am looking for as much info as possible before we make a decision.

The maintenance fees were $980 last year and we have no plans to use our week in the next few years. I had heard about "The Club" as an option to bank time but the last thing I want to do is sink more money into a timeshare I don't see us using. The resale market looks very weak and I hate to just throw away the initial investment that was made when it was bought (around 2000-01).

Just wondering if converting to points is even an option or I should just bank the next few years in Intervals and hope they can get used at some point in the future??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you have already assumed ownership from the inheritance, then it's yours and you have to stop making mistake number one that most unhappy timeshare owners do. You need to start making vacation plans and use it. You can use it, rent it or exchange it to a different place. However, if you are paying maintenance fees every year, yes you are correct, you are wasting money. Use it. Take a trip each year. Mystic Dunes is a decent resort and you can exchange it to another nice resort if you don't want to go to Orlando.

Banking points can be done if you have points, but you can only bank them for a year. However, it's all for naught if you don't go anywhere. It will expire with Interval International if you don't use it before two years as well.

Figure out how you would like to use your timeshare or if you even want it, and then we can better assist you with strategies to best use it.