Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

RCI (by KC):

kevenc4 wrote:
We have owned a timeshare on Hawai'i island for 16 years. The problem I have had for some years now is that the properties seem to have mostly gone downhill. They are certainly NOT gold crown properties anymore (except Kings Land here on our island). We now live on the big island but occasionally use our points to go to Maui or Kauai. I just spent an hour looking at the current properties and their reviews. None of them seemed to be great properties and they all had a good number of bad reviews especially insects and noise. Wyndham it seems has let them all slide in spite of the yearly increase in RCI fees. We also went to New Zealand a year ago and while the 2 properties we stayed at were nice, they were again not gold crown properties. So the issue becomes do I just use Hilton properties ( our timeshare is a Hilto Grand Vacation Club property) which at least are of higher qualities or do I continue to pay for RCI inferior properties because they are worldwide.

I have no use for RCI personally, but you do realize that RCI has NOTHING to do with the management or upkeep of ANY timeshare property, right? Wyndham of course manages many Wyndham timeshare properties, but that fact has nothing at all to do with RCI, even if Wyndham and RCI now both happen to exist under the same corporate umbrella.

RCI is just an exchange company --- no more, no less. They do not own or manage ANY timeshare properties. If a property shows deterioration and / or poor management, that may get reflected in RCI ratings, but RCI has no actual involvement with property maintenance or management (including at Wyndham properties). Resort condition sits squarely (and exclusively) on the shoulders of the managers of each timeshare property.

No offense intended, but yours seems like a decidedly "first world" issue --- living in Hawaii and not being fully satisfied by the quality of timeshare resorts on other Hawaiian islands. I'll be honest --- your particular "dilemma" is not exactly bringing tears to my eyes. (-: