Things to know...

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Things to know... (by Howard H.):

howardh37 wrote:
jerryg36 wrote:
howardh37 wrote:
OK Jerry, put on the gloves :) Just kidding. But I do have a few things to say...

It is possible for anyone to have a bad meal so perhaps I shouldn't bash the Marriott too much. I know that I tend to be more critical than most people, about annoying little things like bugs, air conditioning, comfort of chairs, service, attitude and cleanliness. I don't just rate a restaurant by the quality of my mood, the company who is with me, my traditions, or the experience of family or romance (these are definately great things, but they are often unrepeatable experiences, or difficult at best). If I am guilty of anything, it is overrating something based on value (fast food EXCLUDED).

For example, lots of people like Madame Jeanette's. However, my experience was that I was HOT and SWEATY through the whole meal. The service was OK, nowhere near enough water served. The floor was gravel, and the chairs were plastic yard chairs. Not my idea of top notch.

I also do not rate restaurants on quantity of food for the price (El Gaucho, Texas de Brazil, or Amazonia), but rather on the quality of food (flavor, freshness, etc.). I also am not a fan of donuts and hamburgers, so I am not a good person to ask about that type of food. I have been criticized for suggesting healthier food at the Marriott and told that the greasier the burger the better (may he live to see 60).

Coming from the west coast, it is very difficult to find food as good and fresh as I am accustomed. So, I am trying to balance the best that Aruba has to offer against world class restaurants. You will never find "World Class Food" in Aruba, so as far as I am concerned, you may as well shoot for atmosphere and comfort.

OK California surfer guy, you're forgiven. But the fact that you come from the left coast all the way to Aruba says something about the island. I thought that most west coasters went to places like Hawaii (which after spending 3 weeks there falls intothe category of "been there, done that."

You are correct! It does say something about Aruba. I've been going there since 1991 and honeymooned there. Your are also correct that a lot of people give me a bad time about flying all the way to Aruba from California. Mostly it is because of the people. When I get to Hawaii, I feel as if it is "Welcome to Hawaii, now leave lots of tourist money and go home after we pretend nothing has changed here in 150 years."

The Aruba slogan "One Happy Island" has historically been true, although recent overcrowding by tourists and cruise ships is making life much more hectic for a once quiet island. I also like the nightlife and gambling in Aruba, and coming from California, it is easy to stay awake. If I go to Hawaii I wake up at 4:00am and can't get a cup of coffee until 7:00am. Hawaii is definately more modern and upscale, and the prices reflect it. There is no Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton in Aruba! What Aruba lacks in infrastructure, it makes up in it's Latin/Caribbean hospitality.