Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Dont let them cheat/deceive you (by Jacqueline B.):

valeriea6 wrote:
jacquelineb53 wrote:
We went to a presentation knowing we did NOT want to buy. But like so many, the lure of the place (it IS very beautiful) and the reassurances of the salesman that we could have our other timeshare sold, plus rent out weeks at the Velas, took us in. However, buyer's remorse quickly set in. I had heard about a law in Mexico that guarantees the right to a complete refund within 5 business days for ANY reason. WE took a written letter of our desire to opt out of the contract along with all of our contract documents and sales materials and returned them the very next day. They said they could not have us speak with the manager of sales because he did not work on Sundays. So we made an appointment and came back Monday. That's when the nightmare intensified. WE met with their "legal" guy, who was straight out of the Sopranos in character, a "fellow" American, lawyer/liar, from New York. He said our letter was worthless because we had signed away our right to cancel the deal. I argued that the law states you cannot sign that right away. He then informed us that since we got a "special" deal, buying the contract of another owner who had decided to "upgrade", that the right to cancel was voided. It is only valid on a contract just once, and only for the original buyer. Although I found that very hard to believe, and since I had not done my homework, my husband was able to convince me that if we didn't take their new and final offer, we'd be screwed. So we accepted a lesser unit, for a lower price, and again signed a waiver of our rights to cancel. By the time we got home and I was able to do more research, it was too late. We did get screwed. WE are still making payments on a "studio" that is only available in June and September, two months we can never use due to our school and work schedules. AS for the broker we paid $500 to, set up by Velas?? Never have heard a word. Nothing got sold, nothing has been rented. We hope others will read this and learn from our misfortune. If you ever find yourself in a similar state of buyer's panic while in Mexico, go to an internet cafe, google "time share frauds in Puerto Vallarta" and read the directions of what you must do to get out of it, but do it ASAP within your 5 days. WE learned that every tactic employed with us is standard operating procedure. Profeco (Federal Consumer Protection Agency for Mexico) WILL help you. They can force the company to refund all your money. They will even go with you if necessary. WE know of others who were in the same exact situation as we were, but got the help they needed from PROFECO. Hope this helps somebody in time. A Wary traveler from Washington State
We also bought at Velas, big nightmare. I am wondering, how long ago did you purchase, because Mexican law gives you 1 yr from the time of purchase to be able to get your money refunded.
Wow!! Again, we learned too late! We purchased in July of 2006. I thought we only had the 5 days, so...still paying out for it, and in less than 2 years, the maintenance fee is already 200.00 dollars more than they said it was going to be, so it just keeps costing us, but we haven't ever even gone back. I sure hope somebody else can benefit from this info. in time...