Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Diamond Resorts reduces owner benefits again! (by Charles S.):

susani67 wrote:
alans273 wrote:
most of these owners were sold timeshares on FALSE promises, that is, it would enable the owner to go to other resorts on our planet by exchanging the weeks that they own with others. the problem is that because of the recession the sales of timeshares is now ZERO therefore DRI has no choice but to increase maintenance charges

The sales are zero because it's become common knowledge that timeshares are, for the most part, bad investments sold with false promises.

Couple of things. I stayed at Los Abrigados shortly after DRI took it over. I noted that the property had potential. They had very nice grounds. I had a two bedroom that was very, very large. I really enjoyed that. However, the unit need refurbishing and the entire property needed a facelift. Whatever company owned it before had neglected it. DRI is in the process of repairing from what I have read from owners.

As for units being in hotels.com, well DRI is no different from Marriott, Westin and other big timeshare chains. They too rent out timeshare units to non owners. That's not big news. I also rent out units when I want to recover some money from maintenance fees. DRI rents out their units that they pay maintenance fees for this can be confirmed by your HOA that they pay the maintenance fees.

If we don't use our timeshares then yes, we are waisting our money. I use mine. I will be in Hawaii for a month with two of the weeks at DRI resorts. My value when I go during summer which I will be there all of July is high and my maintenance fees are a bargain to me. I have seen times when hotels.com and booking.com are cheaper than maintenance fees. I don't like that but sometimes I rent for less too to recover some of my maintenance fees.

My point is that DRI is not different from other points owned timeshares. Points owned systems are more expensive than weeks systems. I own both and there are advantages and disadvantages to both. I use them together and it works out fine for me and I do not feel ripped off. You can still get value for your accommodations.