Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Diamond Resorts raises maintenance fees again! (by David K.):

@bobc402: we have to find a way to contact other SVC deeded owners. email me at gnuroticdesigns@yahoo.com

FYI: when we got the notice from SVC about their board meeting and asking for prospective board members, I submitted myself (along with a short qualifications summary) as a candidate. NEVER received anything back from them indicating who the other candidates were, never received a ballot, never received any info on who was elected to the board, never rec'd any info period.

The "update" I went to a few wks ago consisted of two separate segments - an informational presentation and then the high pressure sales. If I understood what was said in the history/background part of the info presentation, the following can be inferred:

1) ILX sold out all of its SVC inventory in the mid '90s. When I bought in '93 they told me they were close to sold out, and once that happened my TS would be worth more than I paid for it. Instead, when they sold out they just started selling PVC (Premier Vacation Club), which was essentially a non-deeded week at whatever might be available at any of their properties. Since SVC was theoretically sold out, they were in essence double-selling our deeded units.

2) When ILX went bankrupt, some bank/finance Company (forgot which) prevailed upon them to "take it over" by assuming the ILX debt on the non-deeded "ownerships" such as PVC. Supposedly 60% or so of the property at Los Abrigados was owned by the remaining deeded SVC owners.

My suspicion, which I really am unable to prove, is that DRI uses us SVC deeded owners as a cash-cow to subsidize their operation of Los Abrigados. I doubt that any of the "points" revenue connected with stays at the resort are directed towards the upkeep and management of the resort. We deeded owners are probably paying the whole bill, and anything DRI gets (including what SVC pays them for management) goes straight into their pocket.

bobc402 wrote:
We were owners with ILX who went into bankruptcy and DRI took them over. We opted out of participating in DRI properties and opted to be grandfathered into the ILX properties. We own our property in Sedona Arizona at Los Abrigados. We have contacted DRI multiple times most often without response. We have asked why the maintenance fees have increased (in fact we received the answer to our question addressed to the Board as to how much our fees would increase for 2014. Today they chose to answer us.) We repeatedly asked for contact information for the non Diamond Resort Board members and were finally told that the new board members did not want to be contacted until they had a board meeting where they could"get the experience of a board meeting" before they could talk to their fellow owners. We were told that they only hold board meetings as necessary. It would be interesting to find out what the law is in the State of Arizona in regards to associations. In Nevada for example they are required to hold 4 board meetings a year and owners are notified in advance. We don't know what the law is in Arizona...yet! There has to be something owners can do. I've now been on Yelp, Trip Advisor, Better Business Bureau, Trust Pilot and another one I can't remember and they are ALL very angry comments about DRI. I can't imagine what will happen when owners start receiving their maintenance fee notices in the mail.