Buying Timeshare?

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Buying Timeshare? (by Aaron M.):

I think you are smart to look at purchasing a timeshare in a desirable area where you want to vacation. When our kids where little in the early 90's we bought a timeshare in Hawaii through the sales presentation and spent a lot of money every other year and then several years later we vacationed there on our every ohter year trip and loved it and bought a second one so that we could extend our time to 2 weeks and the have once for each child. They salespeople would insist that if we did not buy directly from them that our benefits would somehow not be as good and that is why my husband elected to go with the resort and not the timeshart resale places at the discounted rates. We did use the timeshares ivery year, we took our kids on great vacations to Hawaii and all over the world. We signed up for RCI and did the exchanges system and our other property is a Hilton one. Now that the kids are grown our two bedroom units in Hawaii are too big for our needs and we can either rent them and break even, if we do not want to go during that vacation year, or with our Hilton property we can stay in a 1 bedroom unit for more days and they equal the value of my unit. Regarding the gifting. My kids do not want it, so don'g think that your kids will want it down the road. Regarding selling. I tried selling my Maui every other year 1BR unit which is located in Kaanipali Beach on the beach on Ebay / Craiglist for $1.00 + closing costs and it did not sell - so you cannot bet that you will be able to sell even Hawaii easily. The we had the Timeshare professional people cme to use that guaranteed to sell it for us and we paid two places money for guaranteed sales, and it did not sell and they disappeared with our money. It can rent for the maintenance fees.