Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Upfront fees redux... (by KC):

loisb156 wrote:
My question is - what do you think is a reasonable price to pay for help with selling your timeshare? I do not have the time or energy to sell it myself so I know that I will have to pay someone sooner or later. Thanks for your help

My answer is that you should NEVER pay ANY entity a single penny IN ADVANCE "for help with selling your timeshare". Think about it for a moment --- if you pay them money "upfront", what motivation do they have to do ANYTHING MORE for you afterwards? NONE!

I have absolutely no affiliation of any kind with any of them them, but there are numerous licensed timeshare resale brokers who belong to a group whose members agree to take commission only from proceeds upon actual SALE of a timeshare. The group name is Licensed Timeshare Resale Brokers Association. Their website is either LTRBA.com or LRTBA.com --- I don't recall which. There members are located in various parts of the country, I believe. I met and spoke with a member of that group in Sarasota, FL on March 20, 2017. His name is Tom Tubbs, the principal in Island Consulting Realty in Sarasota, FL. Very nice guy, extremely knowledgeable and plainly as honest as the day is long. He regularly writes some very good articles on various timeshare issues. I would not hesitate to do business with him, but have never actually had a need or reason to do so.

That being said, you should probably expect to pay any LTRBA broker a minimum commission of $1,500 (or some percentage of the sale figure, whichever is more) --- but it sounds like you're willing to pay $1,500 UPFRONT right now. Don't do it! Don't deal with ANYONE who wants money upfront. Only deal with a LICENSED broker who will take their commission UPON sale, NEVER anyone one asking for money BEFORE the sale. Be smart. Good luck.