Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Timeshare Points vs. Weeks (by Mike N.):

ken1193 wrote:
rpmather states:

>> First of all, thanks to all in this most informative dialogue. Your well thought-out input is most appreciated. I am both a weeks & points owner and just wanted to add a word of caution. I have weeks resorts that are happy to have me convert to points on an annual basis. I also own weeks at a point resort (not my points membership resort) that are helpful when I want to deposit weeks and get points. My cautionary tale - I have a points resort (not the one I used to join the points program) that will not allow me to deposit my weeks for points. They insist I use a local real estate agent and pay $1.500. to join a program that I am already a member of. Just a suggestion if you are thinking of buying a new week at a new points resort - you might want to phone the resort directly and find out what their policy is on depositing your week with RCI and getting points prior to buying the timeshare. Their policy in this instance is harmful to current owners as I believe it makes this resort less attractive in the points/weeks equation. Ken 1193 above has offered solid advice. Again - thanks to all.

<< ====================================

Thank you for your kind words regarding my and others' input. Your additional information is both enlightening and a bit perplexing too. It sounds, at first blush anyhow, like a situation in which maybe the resort itself was originally (and solely) a "weeks" resort , but is in the process of converting over to become a "points" resort, either in whole or in part? In such instances occurring in numerous resorts, existing "weeks" owners appear to be getting "muscled" to permanently convert their "week" ownership over to "points" ownership. I see claims that this is actually going on right now at numerous Florida resorts, and weeks owners there report (via Internet) getting squeezed to the tune of several thousand dollars to complete a "conversion" that they don't even want to make in the first place! Ironically, the guaranteed fixed week which they originally had is then reportedly no longer guaranteed at all in that same week after "conversion" -- they then have to "reserve" it (13 months in advance). So much for that "fixed" week. Talk about getting whipsawed!

I have also read of another situation in Sebastian, FL where, upon purchase of a fixed week, the buyer gets a fixed week guarantee, but must then coinvert to points (for another $2k, if I recall that report correctly). What's odd about that particular deal is that upon the NEXT sale, the "points" conversion apparently just "disappears" and the whole "conversion from weeks to points" process (and collection of $2K to do so) reportedly starts all over again with the next buyer. And (surprise, surprise) the resort salesman involved then changes his hat and --VOILA!--- is now also the realtor who actually conducts (and collects each and every time for) the points conversion. Nice work, if you can get it.......

As is always the case in the timeshare industry..... CAVEAT EMPTOR (Buyer Beware). =========== Ken, you are correct in your assumption that “the resort itself was originally (and solely) a ‘weeks’ resort, but is in the process of converting over to become a ‘points’ resort, either in whole or in part".

For example, my home “weeks” resort actually consists of three different developments. Steele Hill, Steele Hill West, and Steele Hill East are weeks resorts; and Steel Hill South which is a new RCI Points resort. A sales rep correctly told me a weeks owner can only deposit their week for points as long as the entire resort is a weeks resort (i.e. they haven’t begun the conversion to points) and they own at a Points Resort. Because the South units were considered a separate resort, owners at the other three resorts could deposit their week for points. This was a great marketing ploy when the started selling the new South units to existing “weeks” owners…”Buy one of the new South units and, as an added bonus, you could get even more points by depositing your “weeks” unit for points”. Of course, after listening to the potential benefits of Points including depositing my week for points I became a Points Resort owner. Though I did not buy one of the new Steele Hill South unit (too pricey and MFs too high). I went ahead and did my research to find the best possible deal for me at another resort.