Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Searching with RCI Points (by Edna B.):

ken1193 wrote:
mike1536 has correctly observed, quoted only in directly pertinent part to my question:

>> One disadvantage to points through RCI is that you can only search 13 months in advance tops! Weeks can search 2 yrs out. << =======================================

Mike: This fact now has me wondering about something......

If a RCI search is initiated by using a "week" which has been (at the week owners' request) converted over to RCI "Points for Deposit", which time frame limits for searching will then apply? 10-13 months, or 2 years???

Since the deposit was originally a "week", maybe the search window is allowed to be 2 years. But since that "week" later became Points for Deposit, at week owner initiative, maybe the 10 month limit for a points search is then automatically inherited instead?

This is not a trick question --- I truly don't know (but I would certainly like to). If I called RCI directly 3 separate times, I'd almost certainly get 3 different answers from a VG on the phone (and it's entirely possible that NONE of those answers would actually be correct or accurate --- RCI phone reps seem very reluctant to EVER admit "I just don't know").

I have actually done exactly the above. Last month with RCI, I converted a February 2008 fixed "week" which I own over to become "Points for Deposit". That accomplished, I then immediately initiated a search for a specific week in February 2009. That's 12 months from the original "week", 17 months from date of my request. RCI accepted my search request (verbally) without hesitation or question, but now I'm wondering if the underlying computer programming won't actually just "block" my request from actual activation until 10 months "out" from the requested February 2009 reservation date.

Any thoughts or insights such a situation, Mike? You may very well have previously done just exactly what I have described above, so you may actually have the necessary direct, personal knowledge and experience on the matter with which to provide an accurate (non-speculation) answer.

Thanks.

Yes, it gets tricky doesn't it, knowing how it all works. We changed to points a few years ago and one exchange we wanted didn't do points. We could still go there but we were charged the exchange fee for weeks rather than points which is cheaper. Something else they don't tell you at the time.