Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Timeshare Points vs. Weeks (by Greg P.):

donp196 Many have had the number of points required for a reservation raised beyond what they purchased to make a booking.

When you purchase your points from a specific resort, the number of points required for a booking at that resort, in existing properties can never increase. When new resorts come on line in any specific points system, the # of points required for a stay in those resorts is often higher than what you would have paid for at your home resort. This only makes sense as newer units have higher construction costs and usually have nicer amenities than older resorts. If you always go back to the resort where you purchased your points, the numer of points required for a specific stay will never increase.

Others have been hit with huge assessments to pay for water intrussion and other expenses. Yes that happens in weeks also but atleast in weeks you have a home reosrt that you purchased and hopefully use.

Special assessments happen all the time in any common use facility. Even when it is your principle residence if you live in a condo. The vast majority of points systems give you a home resort also, and allow you to book a stay at your home resort before others have access to booking privleges.

I am sure there are thousands of satisfied points owners but the problem is that there is no exit plan for the disatisfied owners.

No tim share comes with an exit plan. In fact the only timeshare where you have a decent opportunity to recoup your capital investment, if not even make a profit when you sell is a points system. Disney points.

I know that some timeshares like Marriott and Wyndham are highly regarded and have excellent reviews but there are many out there that are just in it to sell more points than there is openings for reservations and that has to be addressed.

A resort cannot sell more points than are available for use at their resort. Te reason some owners have trouble making reservations is that they wait too long to make their reservations, and everyone tries to book the most popular weeks at the most popular resorts.

I own a week and I have a unit that I can go to every year and I don't need to worry that next year they raise the point value and I have to spend more money that I originally agrreed to when I purchased it.

However I bet that your maintenance fees go up every year.

This forum is for the purpose of expressing your views and opinions and I enjoy reading both sides. Hopefully it will help people become better informed and educate them before they sign on the dotted line.

I agree with you here, but I do not agree with most of your opinions. You seem to be providing information that I do not believe to be true and therfore is not helpful to most timeshare users.