Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Timeshare Points vs. Weeks (by Pat W.):

dennish144 wrote:
donp196 wrote:
I've always said that in my opinion points are a ponzi scheme. Nobody but the seller knows how many points are sold. They set the number of points needed to book a reservation and they can change that number at their will. They own it all and set the rules. When they decide they need more money the demand an assessment be paid for their benefit. It's just another example of corporate greed.

You may not like the points programs, but you should read up on these programs before writing such nonsense. I know the Marriott points program differs from what you have written.

Internal point systems and RCI points are 2 different things. i.e. Resorts that have their own points system. If we talk only about resorts selling RCI points - then your comments are off track. In order for a resort to sell points - it must be backed with "real inventory". When the points are deposited into your account, the inventory associated with those points is deposited by the resort into RCI which is what allows other points members to visit your resort. Furthermore, the resort has no say whatsoever in the number of points associated to the inventory. (at a resort that has its own internal form of points - it is the resort that sets the value, and can change that value at their discretion). Resorts cannot change RCI points. RCI points are assessed exactly the same way that your trading power was assessed when you were a weeks member. The only time that RCI re-assesses a resorts points (up or down) is if something changes at your home resort that would significantly and most importantly - consistently - effect the overall vacation experience of an inbound RCI exchange guest. Exactly the same way your trading power would have been effected in the weeks system. Bear in mind that RCI has no vested interest in changing the point values. For RCI - increasing the number of points needed to achieve exchanges would result in fewer exchanges, not more exchanges. Exchange fees are RCI's bread and butter. For resorts that have their own internal form of points, should the developer decide to increase the number of points you need to get, say a 2 bedroom in July, what is your remedy if you wish to continue doing so? Buy more points from the developer. For me - I would steer clear of internal points programs.