Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Timeshare Points vs. Weeks (by Den):

My comments below relate to the Marriott program:

I happen to think legacy owners who enrolled their weeks are in the best position, especially if you own better locations during the platinum season. For example, I deposit my 4th of July week at Newport for 5,300 points and just spent 3,450 points for two 2 bdrm weeks in Orlando in early May. Another example, I add a Wednesday and Thursday night before my Boston owned week and fly mid-week for lower airline fares or extend a few days. I think I paid $650 to enroll all of our weeks and it was worth it.

Rather than complain, we work the program with plenty of help from great owner services personnel. We also make reservations 13 mos in advance and even stack weeks to get the reservations we want. You can probably do all of the things the sales personnel told you if you listen and work at it "and" make reservations early.

We own weeks and points acquired thru Marriott at their premium prices. However, the best deal for us has been the Newport Platinum wks acquired privately at under $9,000 which, of course, are not eligible for VCP's or M Rewards pts. If you don't like the point system, buy in the aftermarket. All you give up are the point conversion options.

We choose to be happy with what we have and we make it work. This does not mean it is easy.