Point Systems

Am Considering in joining RCI (points system)

Jul 11, 2012

carols725 wrote:
Just curious, how is the rental agreement going for you for the place you rented for March 2013. I hope it is a positive process for you.
Well, considering that its half now and half when its time to take the vacation. I guess its OK. These folks also have several listing on eBay for timeshares and other businesses like antiques. And they seem to have an overall positive review. So am hoping for the best, but I'll reserve my judgement until the trip in March :-)

I did 'experience' going to a Wyndham resort for 3 day with the family... out in TN (Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Glade). Unfortunately, the person who has a Wyndham account could not get us a 2 bedroom so we settle for just a 1 bedroom. And I must say, I was very disappointed with it. A one bedroom is inadequate for my family, it was very small. The 8 month old twins took the bedroom and the wife, the 3yr old and myself, slept on the small sofa bed. On the way back from the trip we stayed at La Quinta one bedroom and it was much nicer and bigger. The 2 cribs/playpens were able to fit outside and the 3 of us stay in the king size bed. I stayed at other Wyndham resorts before but this was the first time I was disappointed.

Mec J.

Last edited by mecj on Jul 11, 2012 02:46 PM

Jul 17, 2012

Hi, so have you decided on joining RCI points system after renting. You may want to continue to rent for a bit and try differant locations. There are alot of choices on redweek listings, and that way you can pick and choose more. RCI recently seems to have so much less to choose from, and with Redweek untill you find one that you would want to have as a home resort that you enjoy. This way you will enjoy going back if there is not something to trade with in RCI. Especialy if your going during peak seasons, RCI choices get fewer, depends where you go.

Carol S.
Nov 02, 2012

Carols725, Do you ever use your points for any of the slopeside condos in B.C? We're Albertans and are having a heck of a time deciding what we want to buy as our home resort.

Tanya S.
Nov 04, 2012

We are from Vancouver Island, but presently live in Ft. Mac and have a resort in Parksville on Vancouver Island. and a one in Cabo, Mexico.

The biggest thing is what kind of things do you like to do. The slopes, are you referring to Whistler which is about two hours from Vancuver, if you like hiking, outdoors, whistler is a nice spot.

Each resort has there rules on renting. The one in parksville is in RCI, and we can not rent out our unit. Just use it ourselves or leave it RCI and exchange.

What ever you do try to buy a resale, not one from the resort. Also, buy one with good trading power. Buying points has alot more flexibility, especially for short trips.

Like say a weekend n Baniff, or a stay in Cammore. or Kelowna.

Our biggist issue is we are now just in a position to maybe be able to plan six months down the road. We find for the western provinces you have to book sooooo far in advance. Minimun of six months to a year.

Right now I am dealing with trying to use our weeks, and our trading power is 13 which is mid range for the cabo weeks with RCI. The big trick if you are going to exchange and use RCI is to put your deposits in real early to get the best value use for points, and even weeks.

Our weeks work differant since the resort has there own RCI Reps and the weeks do not decline in trading value like some of the other resorts, when put into RCI to trade. I believe you can call RCI to check on how a resort of interest would work. Go to RCI.com and there should be a phone number. You really have to know your travel needs, how flexable you are. If you are restricted to the high seasons, when school is out, holidays, then it becomes really challenging. Also, you pay your air fare separate. I have been looking at the all inclusives through RCI. By the time you pay the air separate, the all inclusive fee for meals per person, the transfer fees, the exchange fee, your maintence fee, the intitial investment to have the time share, plus the fee to join the weeks together, ,if you have weeks .Also I know for my resort in Los Cabo at PB Sunset the resort rate for owners for the all incl meal plan is $20 more if you use RCI to book. I used my points once to book because I could not get in through the resort week I had. If you book the resort through RCI exchange you pay the RCI rate.

Both weeks and points get asigned trading points when deposited into RCI. RCI Just like alot of others, we were presented with this major attraction on how you have all these wonderful perks and how you are buying the best trading power, how they will give you so much in return on rental, (BS all the advantages etc. Plus major pressure and hold you for a few hours.

Timeshares have there purpose especially if you have a family and do not have to pay extra for the extra people as long as you stay within the max occ. Also alot more room usually. You stay places you would not stay, and forces you to take vacations if you can.

If you want to call me send a note to Redweek asking it to be sent to my email with your phone number and I can fill you in more.

We have had our Parksville one for ten years. It has been a good one for us. The timeshare industry has changed so much, RCI has taken alot of the good exchange and rented it out, this is in theri policy in fine print, so us timeshare owners get less inventory of the better resorts and in demand spots.

The cabo timeshare we have had just a couple of years, they were going to buy the canadian one, another smoke screen. Otherwise we did not want two timehares, especially four more weeks to qualify for the trade in of Canadian one, which turns out the canadian one is easier to use since it is points and do not have to book a whole week and and pay to add the balance of the trading points to the next week at a cost of $119 per week.

I figure that our week in Cabo cost us per year if we deposited in RCI is $600 per week, plus our membership once for $200. And then if we join the week is $119. Timeshares are not cost effective especially if it is just the two of you. They have no value on the resale market now, they used to a few years back. There are a few that do, but not many. The extra vacations through RCI are not too bad, can get some decent deals. They are ones they rent out for a reduced rate for the week.On Occasion it is cheaper to use one of those than pay the exchange rate. Take care.

Carol S.

Last edited by carols725 on Nov 16, 2012 10:58 AM

Nov 05, 2012

carols, I tried reading your post above but it all runs together with no separate paragraphs.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Nov 05, 2012 06:51 AM

Nov 06, 2012

Sorry about that. I can see that it may get confusing in separating things. Anyways, is there anyway I can edit it at this point. I was replying to someone who asked about buying points with RCI. I usually put in pargraph form, was having to go as I was finishing and may of overlooked that. The just of it is I was sharing some of the issues we have had wtth using points and weeks. the positives and the negatives. Giving points to think about. Take care, I think you know more about the subject than i do anyways, so there is probably not new info in it anyway for you, but thanks for the comment. It is alot easier to read info when it is in pargraph form to keep track of the same thought.

Carol S.
Nov 15, 2012

Which offers better exchange power?

Pamela B.
Nov 16, 2012

carols725 wrote:
Anyways, is there anyway I can edit it at this point.

Yes, click on 'edit this message' at the bottom of your message.

R P.
Nov 16, 2012

I thought you could only do that when you first do the message. Thanks. Will do later, very hectic at the moment.

Carol S.
Nov 16, 2012

Try to read it now Jay Jay. I hope it comes across better.

Carol S.
Nov 17, 2012

Much better, thanks !!!!

R P.
Mar 28, 2013

mecj wrote:
carols725 wrote:
Just curious, how is the rental agreement going for you for the place you rented for March 2013. I hope it is a positive process for you.
Well, considering that its half now and half when its time to take the vacation. I guess its OK. These folks also have several listing on eBay for timeshares and other businesses like antiques. And they seem to have an overall positive review. So am hoping for the best, but I'll reserve my judgement until the trip in March :-)

Hi All,

Just wanted to update you all on what got this particular topic started.

I just came back from my stay at the Wyndham’s Glacier Canyon Resort. As noted on previous posting, I got this timeshare through (http://www.glaciercanyon.net) since there were none here at RedWeek at the time. I was a bit nervous since it was my first time booking a timeshare, especially with people I never heard of. The details of the contract are also in the previous posting. I Paid $699 for the total stay with no additional fees or taxes. This is about half the price of what I would have paid if I book the same 3 bedroom suite directly from the resort site on the same exact days.

Well, am happy to report that all went smoothly. The Resort was as nice as the pictures showed. It was a nice size 3 bedroom, plenty of room for my family of 5. We could have had up 10 people in the suite. It was nice to have a full kitchen (it helped save some money on eating out all the time – at least for breakfast and Lunch). The only downside was that my kids are still too young to fully take advantage of all what the resort has to offer. One kid is 4 yrs old and the twins are only 15 months Old. But I loved that I didn’t have to bring anything for the kids other than their clothes. The resort brought up 2 play pens and 2 high chairs for me. If you travel with little ones, you know that’s a HUGE space saver on road trips.

We will definitely stay here again, perhaps when the kids are much older.

As for the my original thoughts of joining RIC or Wyndham Points System (or any other timeshare system for that matter) – I think I will just continue to rent timeshares from people on this site (and other sites). That will give me the extra flexibility without the additional stress of having a payment due every month.

Mec J.
Mar 28, 2013

Thanks for the post. Your smart to decide to just rent. Especially with the small little ones, and as they get older you will be so confined to the peaki seasons. As I believe it has been mention the issues with it. This leaves you with the option to travel when you want and not because you have time to use up. There were so many times we just let our points go because we could not get away. So good and happy renting.

Carol S.
Jul 04, 2013

I WONDER HOW EASY OT OS TO REGISTER 30 DAYS OR LESS AND GET THE DESIRED HOLIDAY.

Sandra M.
Jul 05, 2013

Good luck with that one. You probably need a year in advance to get a decent exchange. I got rid of two timeshares because RCI has taken such a turn for the worse. I used to get desireable exchanges until they changed ownership and then it was like pulling teeth. They always tried to unload the less disireable locations on me.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jul 05, 2013 07:31 AM

Jul 24, 2013

Hi heard you will show the point system

I have weeks and looking at changing to points a friend has the same as we do and they just changed to points they got 146,000 points i am really interested in how the points work for example cruise we are looking at a 9nts cruise in april airfare from Baltimore to puerto Rico and what will one night at say phl hi stadium be just checkin thanks ahead of time if you can help

Kathy C.
Jul 25, 2013

Points partners with RCI are rarely worth it unless you can't use your week and can't or don't want to try to rent your own week. With 140,000 points the max you can use toward points partners (cars, air, cruise, etc) would be 50k for a standard RCI points membership and 70,000 if you upgrade to platinum. Each point is worth roughly a penny a point so 50,000 would translate into $500 minus transaction fees which for air would be per person. It is certainly not worth paying any large some to convert. Especially when already converted weeks can usually be found on ebay for less.

If the points are not RCI points than the conversions above would not apply.

Tracey S.
Feb 27, 2014

Max,

Would you mind emailing me? I'm looking for honest timesahre answers and you seem to be the guy.

gwillardjr@willardsworld.com

George W.
Mar 25, 2014

To what questions are you looking for answers?

Lance C.
Dec 21, 2015

This message is for carols725. This is my first time on forums so really I have no idea what I am doing or know who I am replying back to you. I am not computer savvy. Carols725 you seem very knowledgeable on the RCI and point system and renting out your timeshare. I own a timeshare at barefootin the keys in Florida for eight years and have never stayed in my own unit.we always just use points or pay cash for extra vacations and last calls through RCI and go where we want to go. I absolutely love the flexibility of booking through RCI and the flexibility of the points or cash options. We have had some awesome vacations. However the past two years or maintenance fees have gone up from 450 to 650 now taken over by diamond resorts and reading reviews they have a horrible reputation and fees are going to keep going up. This scares me to know end. I have just requested from diamond resorts to take my deed back last week as I'm concerned as to what maintenance fees might be in another five years. But it scares me just as much to think if I do I will be out of the RCI system. I just heard about red week.com yesterday and that i could possibly rent out my timeshare my week in Florida which is a week 22 to help pay my maintenance fees Though Florida is probably already flooded with timeshares to rent. If I could find a way to pay my maintenance fees I would probably not have a desire to sell my timeshare. You can't even find a bug infested hotel for 200 bucks a week anymore. Would love to talk to someone on the phone who knows the ins and outs of renting out a timeshare to possibly help pay my maintenance fees. I'm kind of in a time crunch as I should probably be hearing back from diamond resorts if they will take my deed back.I've heard from a few others on the forum where they have done it for a $250 transfer fee because they're up-to-date on their timeshare and mine is also paid off. I honestly do not want to sell my timeshare, I enjoy the flexibility with RCI and points so much, just looking for your opinion/experiences on renting out your timeshare through red week. Again I am brand-new to forums and don't even know how I get a reply back from you on this message. Thank you for your time

Carol A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.