Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

5 day cancellation policy

Nov 12, 2006

I am happy to say that I was able to use the 5 day cancellation policy recently on a "pressure purchase" at the Mayan Palace in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Long story short, after 5 hours, we agreed to purchase at the Mayan Palace. After 2 days of further research and visiting the resort on our own, we decided to cancel our contract. On our final day in Mexico, we walked into the sales office and handed over the contract as per the instructions in our agreement. The woman we dealt with (Pricilla) was very professional and curtious. She did try to work out some other deal, but we said we had children waiting in the car and had to leave. At first, she said we would lose our 35% deposit, however we firmly said we felt confident that we would not lose it and said our attorney was experienced with Mexican timeshares and would dispute this claim. She then left the office and a few minutes later agreed to refund all of our money and cancel our agreement. She gave us a "receipt" stating such and invited us back next year for another look.

I cannot say enough good things about that experience. My husband was very concerned about what might happen and it all turned out very well.

My advice to others is to read your contract, return the entire contract to their office before you leave and hang tough on getting back your deposit. You can always dispute the charges through your credit card company.

Jennifer P.
Jul 23, 2014

This 5 Day Cancellation Policy has not worked for us. The Federal Mexican Government met with and fined Mayan (Mazatlan) for 2.5 years. During all that time, Mayan has never repaid us. The Mexican Government finally gave up and said "...your file will be closed without prejudice to you rights in case you decide to take the matter to the Mexican Tribunals." CAN ANYONE HELP ME HERE? DOES ANYONE KNOW AN HONEST MEXICAN TIMESHARE ATTORNEY? WHAT/WHO IS THE MEXICAN TRIBUNAL?

Rheba H.
Jul 24, 2014

search PROFECO

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.