Marriott's Timber Lodge Tahoe

Marriott versus Starwood?

Jan 30, 2007

We are currently happy owners of Starwood timeshares in Maui and Myrtle Beach, but in looking for a Winter Sports timeshare are interested in the Marriot Timber Lodge Tahoe.

Does anyone else own both and how would you compare them as to quality of accomodations, ability to exchange within the system as well as through RCI or II? Also, are Marriott points transferrable with the purchase of the unit, etc.? I've been told that if you buy outside of their sales, you lose the option to exchange for other Marriott properties.

We stayed at the Marriott Timber Lodge last Spring and really enjoyed the easy accessibility to the Gondola and other area highlights. We also liked the "make your own" Hibachi style food at the on-site restaurant. Since we had a kitchen, we made our own breakfasts, but the Starbucks on-site was nice if you wanted minimal breakfast, coffee, etc.

However, the small one-bedroom unit was a pretty tight squeeze for two adults and two teenagers and I would advise using the larger one-bedroom or the two-bedroom units if you are going for more than two or three days.

Tricia H.
Oct 11, 2007

thundley wrote:
We are currently happy owners of Starwood timeshares in Maui and Myrtle Beach, but in looking for a Winter Sports timeshare are interested in the Marriot Timber Lodge Tahoe.

Does anyone else own both and how would you compare them as to quality of accomodations, ability to exchange within the system as well as through RCI or II? Also, are Marriott points transferrable with the purchase of the unit, etc.? I've been told that if you buy outside of their sales, you lose the option to exchange for other Marriott properties.

We stayed at the Marriott Timber Lodge last Spring and really enjoyed the easy accessibility to the Gondola and other area highlights. We also liked the "make your own" Hibachi style food at the on-site restaurant. Since we had a kitchen, we made our own breakfasts, but the Starbucks on-site was nice if you wanted minimal breakfast, coffee, etc.

However, the small one-bedroom unit was a pretty tight squeeze for two adults and two teenagers and I would advise using the larger one-bedroom or the two-bedroom units if you are going for more than two or three days.

We like both but Marriott has more accessibility and the reputation that gos with it. If you do not buy directy from Marriotts, you do not get the points. You can, however, exchange with I. I. and RCI. Unfortunately, we cannot use our unit this year. So, if yiou know of anyone who is interested the week AFTER Thanksgiving, let us know.

I agree tht the one bedrooms are a little small for 4 people. But the two bedrooms are great!

Jo Ann O. trembath
Jan 01, 2008

thundley wrote:

We stayed here Thanksgiving week with our two teen sons in a one bedroom. What a great opportunity to be so close and cozy with the people we love the most. Every year we travel to different places and it's the one thing I enjoy most.

Kim M.
May 27, 2014

We own both Starwood and Marriott timeshares. We own in Maui for both. We own Starwood at the Atlantis and Palm Desert. We own Desert Spring Villas II in Palm Springs and Canyon Villas. If you buy resale you can trade within their respective systems but as you know it is pretty hard to get something different than what you own in Marriott. Starwood is easier to manipulate. You have the 8 month window to reserve in another resort. If you own Marriott vacation club points it makes it much easier to trade. I heard it is an extra cost when you buy a resale with vacation club points. I have not tried this yet. I love the versatility of having both types of properties. The quality is about the same as well. It really depends on which property you go to on the upkeep of the property. I enjoy having both of them and we decided to buy at the property we want to go to. It's harder to get into the Marriott properties that you don't own. My favorite is Starwood for trading power but I think Marriott has more properties at the moment.

Debbie N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.