Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Renting - Marriott Marbella Beach Resort ?

Mar 15, 2007

Hi

I am about to purchase 2 x Gold weeks at Marriott Marbella Beach Resort - does anyone else own the same weeks or know how easy it is to rent the property out.

We feel that we will go there once a year, and if we could not exchange it for what we want, could we rent it out and get back at least our maintenance fees.

Any experiences that people could share would be appreciated.

Gary E.
May 31, 2023

We own 2 gold weeks at the Marriott Marbella (which we will be selling after July as we have renters there until July 8). We have owned the weeks since 2007 and have been able to rent them out every year either thru local agencies in Marbella or here on Redweek.

The desired rental dates are difficult to get. You have to call exactly -- and I mean exactly to the 30 seconds -- on the date that inventory is released if you want to get good, rentable dates (at or near the end of June). Calling the US Marriott line wastes too much time with recorded messages. Best to call the European office in Ireland, they answer directly but even if you call exactly @ 2pm in Ireland, hundreds of others also call in so you will be in a queue. I keep a calendar to know on what date I need to call and I sit and wait for the minute it opens!

Carole W.
Aug 09, 2023

Hello,

I'm posting this hoping maybe Carole W. Might see it (since she mentioned she had rented many times her Marriott Gold weeks).

We have a 1 Gold membership week at the Marriott Playa Andaluza (2 bd unit), with an active reservation for the 1st wk in October, and, since now we have other plans for that week, we were thinking to post it fir rent here on RedWeek.

Therefore, I read about the process, and we are considering either the Do-It-Yourself with "VERFIED & PROTECTED" or the "FULL-SERVICE", so we can have the payments handled by RedWeek. But when I logged into our Marriott acct to see what the "Guest of Owner Name Addition - Guest Form" looks like, I became concerned when I read the following two paragraphs: =1= NOTE: Family members or guests of Owner may not be permitted to check-in if the required information below is not received 30 days in advance of arrival date. =2= Commercial use of accommodations, use period or related benefits, including but not limited to a pattern of rental activity, is prohibited under the applicable reservation or exchange procedures and may result in cancellation of reservations. I certify that this reservation is not for any commercial purpose, and I hereby release MVCI and its affiliates from any and all liability relating to or arising from any such reservation cancellation.

Do you know if Marriott might indeed NOT allow a renter to check-in if the form would be submitted less than 30 days in advance? This is worrying us because our reservation starts on October 5th, and if I post the rental offer on RedWeek right now, by the time it gets "verified", there would be only about 2 weeks left till the 30 days in advance limit.

Also, I hope puting the week for rent would not be viewed as "Commercial use", and thus be subject to reservation cancelation!

Do you know if these Marriott clauses existed for while? Or is it something new?

Catalina P.
Aug 09, 2023

Hello,

I'm posting this hoping maybe Carole W. Might see it (since she mentioned she had rented many times her Marriott Gold weeks).

We have a 1 Gold membership week at the Marriott Playa Andaluza (2 bd unit), with an active reservation for the 1st wk in October, and, since now we have other plans for that week, we were thinking to post it fir rent here on RedWeek.

Therefore, I read about the process, and we are considering either the Do-It-Yourself with "VERFIED & PROTECTED" or the "FULL-SERVICE", so we can have the payments handled by RedWeek. But when I logged into our Marriott acct to see what the "Guest of Owner Name Addition - Guest Form" looks like, I became concerned when I read the following two paragraphs: =1= NOTE: Family members or guests of Owner may not be permitted to check-in if the required information below is not received 30 days in advance of arrival date. =2= Commercial use of accommodations, use period or related benefits, including but not limited to a pattern of rental activity, is prohibited under the applicable reservation or exchange procedures and may result in cancellation of reservations. I certify that this reservation is not for any commercial purpose, and I hereby release MVCI and its affiliates from any and all liability relating to or arising from any such reservation cancellation.

Do you know if Marriott might indeed NOT allow a renter to check-in if the form would be submitted less than 30 days in advance? This is worrying us because our reservation starts on October 5th, and if I post the rental offer on RedWeek right now, by the time it gets "verified", there would be only about 2 weeks left till the 30 days in advance limit.

Also, I hope puting the week for rent would not be viewed as "Commercial use", and thus be subject to reservation cancelation!

Do you know if these Marriott clauses existed for while? Or is it something new?

Catalina P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.