Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

May 21, 2007

We have filed a dispute with Bank of America against the charge. If we do get a check, we will notify them (BoA) and end the dispute process (after the check clears). As I said, we were told to expect the check by the end of this week. I'll give them until mid part of next week & see what happens.

BTW-with BoA we have 60 days from the date of the charge to start the dispute process. It's only been 30 since the problem started so we're well within the time limits

Monte B.

Last edited by monte12 on May 21, 2007 03:25 PM

May 31, 2007

Sadly enough I've resorted to actually taking the semi-weekly calls from the "resellers" and allowing them to ramble-on with that old familiar sales pitch (that I am finally immune to) and request for money upfront... merely for entertainment purposes! I need to get a different hobby...

I let 'em waste time on me so they can't get very many other calls completed that evening. One desperate sounding caller haggled with me to get a sale and lowered her $499 fee down to a hundred bucks.

Another frustrated caller said (after several minutes of rambling on)"apparently we can't see eye to eye..." I couldn't resist that one. My reply: "this is a telephone, isn't it?"...

Maybe if I do this a few more times that industry will put me on THEIR "do not call" list... ;-)

Bruce Z.
May 31, 2007

monte12 wrote:
We have filed a dispute with Bank of America against the charge. If we do get a check, we will notify them (BoA) and end the dispute process (after the check clears). As I said, we were told to expect the check by the end of this week.

Interesting-they told me the check would be here not later than May25. Sat May 26 I got a phone call saying they had just put it in the mail. Today (May 31) I got another phone call saying they had just mailed it today.

I wonder if they've received the letter from BoA saying that I'm disputing the charge yet! This would be funny if it weren't so sad

Monte B.

Last edited by monte12 on May 31, 2007 09:23 PM

Jun 01, 2007

I had to up front payments one to Interval another to GMAC. They took $750 each. Is there anyone to report this to. The credit card company would not do anything. One was American Express. Please let me know what I can do. Thank you.

Maryellen A.
Jun 01, 2007

LOL Bruce, that's because the word is getting out on Redweek concerning scams related to timesharing such as upfront fee resale companies. Upfront fee resale companies are becoming desperate to snag the next victim (that's why she lowered her selling price to $100 as that's $100 in her pocket for doing nothing).

Thousands of people are becoming timeshare educated due to Redweek's forums .... kudos to Redweek.

bruce727 wrote:
Sadly enough I've resorted to actually taking the semi-weekly calls from the "resellers" and allowing them to ramble-on with that old familiar sales pitch (that I am finally immune to) and request for money upfront... merely for entertainment purposes! I need to get a different hobby...

I let 'em waste time on me so they can't get very many other calls completed that evening. One desperate sounding caller haggled with me to get a sale and lowered her $499 fee down to a hundred bucks.

Another frustrated caller said (after several minutes of rambling on)"apparently we can't see eye to eye..." I couldn't resist that one. My reply: "this is a telephone, isn't it?"...

Maybe if I do this a few more times that industry will put me on THEIR "do not call" list... ;-)

R P.
Jun 01, 2007

bruce727 Sadly enough I've resorted to actually taking the semi-weekly calls from the "resellers" and allowing them to ramble-on with that old familiar sales pitch (that I am finally immune to) and request for money upfront... merely for entertainment purposes! I need to get a different hobby... ... Bruce,

Maybe it would be entertaining and enlightening to do for us what many companies' customer service departments do for themselves. They tape our conversation "for quality control."

What they are actually doing is taping the conversation for training purposes. That way, you have real-life examples of how to deal with customers on the phone.

So, if you really want some entertainment, tape the conversations and transcribe them, then post them here. For our training.

Carrie S.
Jun 02, 2007

I think the reason these resale scumbags tape the conversations (when you are agreeing to their fees) for proof that, after you either complain to the BBB or your credit card they can direct you to the audio recording that says, "see? They knew what they were gettting into!"

Interestingly, they only tape you aftet the big lOOOOONG spiel you get of how your timeshare will sell ASAP and the tape leaves out all the lies the sales rep, er, I mean scumbag tells you to convince you to go with them!

(Am I bitter? Maybe.....:P)

Nori N.
Jun 02, 2007

On top of that many upfront fee salespeople will tell prospective clients that their timeshare is worth 2 or 3 times more than it really is or they tell them they already have buyers interrested in their resort. This gets the prospect all excited, so many will pay the upfront fee believing what the salesperson tells them.

norin wrote:
I think the reason these resale scumbags tape the conversations (when you are agreeing to their fees) for proof that, after you either complain to the BBB or your credit card they can direct you to the audio recording that says, "see? They knew what they were gettting into!"

Interestingly, they only tape you aftet the big lOOOOONG spiel you get of how your timeshare will sell ASAP and the tape leaves out all the lies the sales rep, er, I mean scumbag tells you to convince you to go with them!

(Am I bitter? Maybe.....:P)

R P.
Jun 02, 2007

amyv41 wrote:
2 years ago I worked at a timeshare scam. I am a single mother (it doesn't condone my actions but please understand). I easily made over 3k a WEEK at my resell job. The company has a really BAD rep online you will find them on ripoffreport.com.

The owner a very young guy and his pal run the place his pals father is an attorney and they are the lowest of the low.

I found the job being unemployed and afraid I answered an ad in the Orlando Sentinel for sales people. I have quite a bit of sales and marketing experience and they gladly took me aboard.

I soon realized that I was dealing with a timeshare scam by that time I had already been well on my way to making $156K for the year getting a 30% commission on every deal I sold.

As you may be able to imagine I was having a worldly & spirally binding war within my self. I can still remember how excited that the whole office was when the first hour I made my first sell. It was an intoxicating experience I still bare the shame for. the man & wife even called immediately back after I got their credit card just to check if the number was real, and of course it was. As you already know my faith, my spirit and my fear of god brought me to my senses. I started to question the owner in front of the "other" employees and I did my own Internet investigations including a back ground check on the owners & the DUI attorney daddy. I found what I was looking for and I was not quiet about it so they FIRED me. I expected as much. I needed to be fired to clear my conscious.

The place is still scamming to this day and they are still raking in the cash from unsuspecting timeshare young and old alike. I am sorry for my part in this SCAM. I just want you all to be aware of the fact that you should NOT pay an UPFRONT FEE. TO anyone ever. I find that this site is the best source of renting the timeshares out (by word of mouth).

Good luck to all and I am sorry if I hurt you who ever you are.

Thankyou very very much for this vital info. about not giving upfront fee. I am trying to sell my time share westgate town center at orlando but all companies want upfront fee, which I refuse to pay. Could you please advise me how I sell this time share. thankyou

Ghulamali G.
Jun 03, 2007

There are a few companies listed in this forum under 'No Upfront Fee Resale Companies'. You can check with them as to what their commission is or you can sell it yourself here on Redweek if your week is marketable. The key is pricing it right. If you bought from the developer you will lose money selling resale.

However, the problem with Orlando is that it's oversupplied with timeshares. There are thousands of resales already on the market in that area with new timeshare resorts being built as we speak.

R P.
Jun 03, 2007

I recommend Timeshare Users' Group at www.tug2.net for anyone who has any questions about timeshare. www.timeshareforums.com is another great site with lots of information that you might find useful.

There is information about how to sell your timeshare yourself, and Redweek is one of the sites recommended there.

I love timeshare, but the value is in using it, not in reselling. The years you cannot use it, rent it out for your cost of maintenance fees + a little extra cash. For example, a Hawaii week can rent for 1 1/2 times the maintenance fees. Orlando timeshares will rent for the cost of maintenance fees, generally, because they are pretty high and there is no shortage of timeshares there. Redweek has the best prices for rental ads.

Sun or Snow T.
Jun 06, 2007

We were scammed also, $1100.00. A company called TimesharesOnly. It is a listing company. The promised us all of this advertizing, said they could get us $15000.00 for the one property and $10000.00 for the other. We have not heard a single word from them since they got our money.

Cheryl H.
Jun 07, 2007

ghulamalig wrote:
amyv41 wrote:
2 years ago I worked at a timeshare scam. I am a single mother (it doesn't condone my actions but please understand). I easily made over 3k a WEEK at my resell job. The company has a really BAD rep online you will find them on ripoffreport.com.

The owner a very young guy and his pal run the place his pals father is an attorney and they are the lowest of the low.

I found the job being unemployed and afraid I answered an ad in the Orlando Sentinel for sales people. I have quite a bit of sales and marketing experience and they gladly took me aboard.

I soon realized that I was dealing with a timeshare scam by that time I had already been well on my way to making $156K for the year getting a 30% commission on every deal I sold.

As you may be able to imagine I was having a worldly & spirally binding war within my self. I can still remember how excited that the whole office was when the first hour I made my first sell. It was an intoxicating experience I still bare the shame for. the man & wife even called immediately back after I got their credit card just to check if the number was real, and of course it was. As you already know my faith, my spirit and my fear of god brought me to my senses. I started to question the owner in front of the "other" employees and I did my own Internet investigations including a back ground check on the owners & the DUI attorney daddy. I found what I was looking for and I was not quiet about it so they FIRED me. I expected as much. I needed to be fired to clear my conscious.

The place is still scamming to this day and they are still raking in the cash from unsuspecting timeshare young and old alike. I am sorry for my part in this SCAM. I just want you all to be aware of the fact that you should NOT pay an UPFRONT FEE. TO anyone ever. I find that this site is the best source of renting the timeshares out (by word of mouth).

Thankyou very very much for this vital info. about not giving upfront fee. I am trying to sell my time share westgate town center at orlando but all companies want upfront fee, which I refuse to pay. Could you please advise me how I sell this time share. thankyou

CAll Jay at Re/Max 1-800-541-5666 ext 665 He is Westgates preferred Broker. Absolutely no upfront fees.

Jay K.
Jun 07, 2007

I RECEIVED A REFUND CHECK TODAY ON MY UPFRONT FEES (minus a processing fee) but I've learned a lesson and got out a lot cheaper than it sounds like many have.

I'll be emailing them and letting them (legacy resort mgmt) know that I'll notify Bank of America (once the check clears) that all is resolved.

I'm pretty certain that the reason they decided to send the check is because BoA said they would be attempting to have the entire amount returned, including the processing fees. But at this point-I'm just glad to be out!!

I might also call Jay (from above post) and see if he is willing to list my Vistana property (or does anyone know of a Vistana Preferred agent)?

Monte B.
Jun 07, 2007

ghulamalig wrote:
amyv41 wrote:

Yes. You should go to your resorts in house resell office. If your resort is not able to resell please avoid UP FRONT FEES OF ANY KIND even through a so called lic real estate broker/agent, However, a licensed professional is regulated by the FREC in Florida and the laws about upfront fees are very clear they can not take up front fees EVER, for more info contact the DBR dept of business regulations. GOOD LUCK. I feel for you.

Amy V.
Jun 07, 2007

monte12 wrote:
I RECEIVED A REFUND CHECK TODAY ON MY UPFRONT FEES (minus a processing fee) but I've learned a lesson and got out a lot cheaper than it sounds like many have.

I'll be emailing them and letting them (legacy resort mgmt) know that I'll notify Bank of America (once the check clears) that all is resolved.

I'm pretty certain that the reason they decided to send the check is because BoA said they would be attempting to have the entire amount returned, including the processing fees. But at this point-I'm just glad to be out!!

I might also call Jay (from above post) and see if he is willing to list my Vistana property (or does anyone know of a Vistana Preferred agent)?

You should not have lost a processing fee. This alone is a crime.

Amy V.
Jun 07, 2007

bruce727 wrote:

Good for you!!!! If you really wanna mess with them call em up and spend a few hours of their time preventing them from scamming some unknowing person. When I do this I make up a resort name and see if they will give me an illegal price quote on something that isn't even real!!! It is a great laugh. If you wanna make em piss their pants ask what their telemarketing lic # is.

Amy V.
Jun 07, 2007

cherylh3 wrote:
We were scammed also, $1100.00. A company called TimesharesOnly. It is a listing company. The promised us all of this advertizing, said they could get us $15000.00 for the one property and $10000.00 for the other. We have not heard a single word from them since they got our money.
Go get em' you have rights call the Attorney Generals office and file a complaint!

Amy V.
Jun 07, 2007

carries25 wrote:
This story is better than a soap. I say file in writing immediately to preserve your rights. I believe that's what it says in the fine print on your CC bill and contract. Nothing in words counts, only that in writing.

Not even writing counts with these guys.

Amy V.
Jun 07, 2007

amyv41

monte12 wrote:
You should not have lost a processing fee. This alone is a crime.

I couldn't agree more, but the piece of mind I have now is worth that price.

thanks

Monte B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.