Travel Tips & Advice

trading power

Aug 13, 2007

hi i ahave a weeks reserved at mouuntain run in boyne falls michigan. it is week 21, could anyone tell me how much if any trading power i have. thanks any help would be thankfull.

Richard K.
Aug 18, 2007

richardk180 wrote:
hi i ahave a weeks reserved at mouuntain run in boyne falls michigan. it is week 21, could anyone tell me how much if any trading power i have. thanks any help would be thankfull.
------------- How many bedrooms??? Mountain Run is an RCI Gold Crown resort; week 21 is a Red week. I cannot give you an exact "number" for trading power. But even though your resort is NOT an RCI Points resort, RCI still assigns points to weeks resorts for use in the Points system. Based on RCI's points system, this resort is worth 71,000 (3 BR), 55,000 (2 BR), 41,000 (1 BR), and 27,500 (Hotel/Suite). To put it into proper perspective, this is slightly less than Florida values and much less than Hawaii (Gold Crown resort in Hawaii is 103,000, 80,500, 60,000, and 41,000 points respectively). Assuming the RCI points gives a basis for trading power, if you owned a 2 BR, you could probably exchange into most Silver Crown and Standard Resorts and smaller Gold Crown units in Prime Season or smaller Gold Crown units. Hope this helps.

Mike N.
Aug 19, 2007

richardk180 wrote:
=======================================

Mike's input is, as always, of high quality and well informed, but the "trading power" of weeks with RCI is unfortunately always a bit mysterious. RCI never actually reveals the "value" which they have internally assigned to any given week at any given resort, so you never really know with any certainty just what your deposit will "pull" in exchange. Compounding that secretive "man behind the curtain" situation at RCI is the fact that with RCI, you must also deposit BEFORE you can even search. Unacceptable, at least to me....

I'd recommend at least considering one of the numerous alternative exchange companies. With RedWeek, you can at least find out the "value" of your prospective deposit before actually relinquishing your week. That's good, fair, appropriate. With Interval International, you have the option to "seach first" before depositing (but I don't know if your resort is II affiliated, which it MUST be to even use their exchange service in the first place). Dial an Exchange is another possibility, although some folks believe the DAE inventory to be somewhat limited.

The bottom line to my own personal opinion and recommendation is to look at **EVERYONE ELSE BESIDES RCI** before you decide and take action. Depositing with RCI could very well turn out to be little more than a "gift" to them if they never come up with anything suitable for you in exchange --- a complaint which has been openly voiced more and more with each passing year by RCI members. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 19, 2007 06:13 AM

Aug 19, 2007

richardk180 wrote:

I'm a little confusede by your statement that you have a week reserved at the resort in question. Do you own the week or are you thinking of buying there? BTW, week 21 is Memorial Day week.

One prerequisite of a good trader with RCI is supply and demand of your resort and season owned.

R P.
Aug 20, 2007

jayjay wrote:
richardk180 wrote:

I'm a little confusede by your statement that you have a week reserved at the resort in question. Do you own the week or are you thinking of buying there? BTW, week 21 is Memorial Day week.

One prerequisite of a good trader with RCI is supply and demand of your resort and season owned.

i have week 21 reserved thru my bluegreen ownership.

Richard K.
Aug 20, 2007

And you would like to deposit it with an exchange company for a trade? If so, week 21 (a summer holiday week) should trade well depending on the popularity of the resort where you've reserved through your Bluegreen ownership.

R P.
Aug 20, 2007

jayjay wrote:

And you would like to deposit it with an exchange company for a trade? If so, week 21 (a summer holiday week) should trade well depending on the popularity of the resort where you've reserved through your Bluegreen ownership.

========= I agree. We were at Mountain Run at Boyne for a family reunion in June. Nice place. It is probably most popular in the winter with the ski crowd but if you have ever searched RCI for a summer location in the upper midwest you know they are often scarcer than hen's teeth. Mountain Run is situated on the edge of the Boyne Mountain Resort and shares many facilities with it. MD

Mary D.
Aug 21, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
richardk180 wrote:

Mike's input is, as always, of high quality and well informed, but the "trading power" of weeks with RCI is unfortunately always a bit mysterious. RCI never actually reveals the "value" which they have internally assigned to any given week at any given resort, so you never really know with any certainty just what your deposit will "pull" in exchange. Compounding that secretive "man behind the curtain" situation at RCI is the fact that with RCI, you must also deposit BEFORE you can even search. Unacceptable, at least to me....

I'd recommend at least considering one of the numerous alternative exchange companies. With RedWeek, you can at least find out the "value" of your prospective deposit before actually relinquishing your week. That's good, fair, appropriate. With Interval International, you have the option to "seach first" before depositing (but I don't know if your resort is II affiliated, which it MUST be to even use their exchange service in the first place). Dial an Exchange is another possibility, although some folks believe the DAE inventory to be somewhat limited.

The bottom line to my own personal opinion and recommendation is to look at **EVERYONE ELSE BESIDES RCI** before you decide and take action. Depositing with RCI could very well turn out to be little more than a "gift" to them if they never come up with anything suitable for you in exchange --- a complaint which has been openly voiced more and more with each passing year by RCI members. Good luck.

====== Thanks for the compliment. I agree that RCI biggest negative is their DEPOSIT FIRST requirement. I own a unit in a points resort and another unit in a weeks resort. The only way I'd give RCI my weeks unit is to convert unit to points for the current usage year.

Mike N.
Aug 21, 2007

mike1536 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:
richardk180 wrote:

====== Thanks for the compliment. I agree that RCI biggest negative is their DEPOSIT FIRST requirement. I own a unit in a points resort and another unit in a weeks resort. The only way I'd give RCI my weeks unit is to convert unit to points for the current usage year.
==========

Not sure I understand how giving a week to RCI would convert it to points.

Mary D.
Aug 22, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:
richardk180 wrote:

==========

Not sure I understand how giving a week to RCI would convert it to points.

----------- For example, I own at resort 'A' which is a Points Resort. I also own at Resort 'B' which is the traditional Weeks Resort. If I choose to deposit my Resort 'B' week, instead of doing the traditional exchanging for another week, I can get additional points added to my account.

Mike N.
Aug 23, 2007

adahiscout has asked, quoted verbatim:

>> Not sure I understand how giving a week to RCI would convert it to points. << =======================================

IF (and ONLY if) a RCI member has BOTH a "weeks" ownership somewhere AND a "points" resort ownership somewhere (RCI affiliation is obviously required ifor each resort), then that owner can opt to "deposit" an owned "week" as "Points for Deposit". In one of the VERY few things which RCI actually does in an upfront and transparent manner, the RCI "points" values required to reserve a week are openly published in a grid table. Points required to reserve a week obviously vary according to geograhic location, season, and size of unit sought. As always, availabilty not guaranteed.

In short, a RCI "weeks" owner who also has a RCI "points" account can CHOOSE between depositing their week as a "week" (with its RCI trading power then being anyone's guess, since RCI won't reveal it) OR instead, depositing that week as "points for deposit", with the point value of that deposit being very clearly known right up front and the point value required to exchange elsewhere also being known right up front.

This flexibility is why some RCI weeks members (including me, after getting some very good input from Mike1536 last year --- thanks again, Mike!) have looked for and acquired a low cost RCI "points" ownership / account, in order to make better use of owned "weeks" of unknown (i.e., not disclosed by RCI) trading value. In my own personal experience, as well as thousands of others, there has been a downward spiral in "week for week" trading success with RCI, particularly in recent years, even with the exact same units being deposited at the same maximum time in advance seeking the exact same things in exchange. The RCI well has gone mostly dry, at least for what I (and many others) have accomplished in the past, but can no longer achieve. I won't speculate whether this change has anything to do with RCI's burgeoning "rental business" to non-members in recent years --- which currently has RCI in court as defendant in a lawsuit (Murillo vs. RCI). I'll leave any determinations on that matter to the court.

Personally, I will NEVER again deposit a "week" with RCI, unless as "points for deposit". I'll use it, rent it out, exchange through RedWeek, or deposit for RCI points, but I will never again deposit a week with RCI as a "week", not knowing what the RCI "man behind the curtain" has determined and assigned as the "trading power" of that week (and RCI will never reveal it).

Sorry to be long winded, but I wanted my reply and explanation to be as clear as possible, including both direct experience and, admittedly, personal opinion.

It also warrants mentioning that there are MANY different "point" systems in the timeshare world, and NONE of them have ANY particular relationship or meaning whatsoever in regard or comparison to any other one. Each "points system" is unique and self contained within its own system in both "currency" and reservation procedures (Marriott, Fairfield, Worldmark, RCI --- the list goes on and on).

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 23, 2007 04:49 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.