Oct 11, 2007

Is the beach useable and can you now go into the ocean? We were told that they were starting to work on making the beachfront better and the ocean more swimmable when we were there 2 years ago but haven't been back since to check it out.

Mindi H.
Feb 05, 2008

hartman wrote:
Is the beach useable and can you now go into the ocean? We were told that they were starting to work on making the beachfront better and the ocean more swimmable when we were there 2 years ago but haven't been back since to check it out.
What was wrong with the beach? We are going this summer and am not familiar with this location. What can you tell me about it?

Daisy
Feb 05, 2008

vickid6 wrote:
hartman wrote:
What was wrong with the beach? We are going this summer and am not familiar with this location. What can you tell me about it?
A lot of the beach had been eroded by the hurricane. The ocean was not swimmable because of all the exposed rock. It could be very dangerous and you could easily get seriously cut and/or injured by being thrown around by the waves onto exposed rock. They were trying to reclaim the sand and build both the beach and ocean up but I haven't been since 2005 so I don't know what they have accomplished. The pool is beautiful and extremely large (as in all Mayan Palace properties) but we did miss taking long walks on the beach.

Mindi H.
Feb 17, 2008

We just returned from 3 weeks at the Mayan Palace and the beach still has a coral reef and they have added some manmade cones so the reef will grow for the future. To access the water wearing water shoes is recommended but there were also some people braving it with bare feet. It is not a sandy bottom and may never be in front of the resort but it you walk north past some rocky areas there is a beautiful beach to walk straight in from. I still wore water shoes for the pebbles but not a problem. The beach area at the resort is lovely and you can wade in some spots. There are many chairs and some palapas. It was much more crowded than our last visit 3 years ago but still beautiful!

Barbara F.
Feb 18, 2008

barb100 wrote:
We just returned from 3 weeks at the Mayan Palace and the beach still has a coral reef and they have added some manmade cones so the reef will grow for the future. To access the water wearing water shoes is recommended but there were also some people braving it with bare feet. It is not a sandy bottom and may never be in front of the resort but it you walk north past some rocky areas there is a beautiful beach to walk straight in from. I still wore water shoes for the pebbles but not a problem. The beach area at the resort is lovely and you can wade in some spots. There are many chairs and some palapas. It was much more crowded than our last visit 3 years ago but still beautiful!
Thanks for the update!

Mindi H.
Feb 18, 2008

Thanks for the update!

Mindi

Mindi H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.