Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Hilton Grand Vacations Club - is it all that?

Feb 23, 2008

My husband I and were on vacation and were talked into buying a floating every other year week through Hilton Grand Vacations Club. We bought a resale timeshare at David Walleys about a year ago, and are still figuring out how to exchange it and use it to our advantage. Honestly the Hilton club does seem a lot better than what we have, but we aren't thrilled about paying the developer price when there are much better prices out there for our same unit. Our understanding is that if we buy a Hilton through resale, we don't get any points or get to use their points system. Has anyone ever bought a Hilton resale, and are the points really worth it? We were told that being part of the Hilton points system we would get better priority with exchanging and last minute deals. We have 5 days to still back out of our purchase and were wondering if it is worth the difference in the resale versus developer price? Any information about the Hilton would be appreciated. thanks, Christine

John G.
Feb 23, 2008

Get out why you can. :-)

John G.
Feb 24, 2008

johng596 wrote:
My husband I and were on vacation and were talked into buying a floating every other year week through Hilton Grand Vacations Club. We bought a resale timeshare at David Walleys about a year ago, and are still figuring out how to exchange it and use it to our advantage. Honestly the Hilton club does seem a lot better than what we have, but we aren't thrilled about paying the developer price when there are much better prices out there for our same unit. Our understanding is that if we buy a Hilton through resale, we don't get any points or get to use their points system. Has anyone ever bought a Hilton resale, and are the points really worth it? We were told that being part of the Hilton points system we would get better priority with exchanging and last minute deals. We have 5 days to still back out of our purchase and were wondering if it is worth the difference in the resale versus developer price? Any information about the Hilton would be appreciated. thanks, Christine

Rescind, rescind, rescind immediately. You can find Hilton points on the resale market for much lower than developer cost. Search (right hand corner of this page) 'how to rescind' and make sure you do it within your rescission timeframe and go by the rescission instructions clause in your contract or it will be a moot point and you will be stuck with your ultra expensive developer bought timeshare.

Research, research and research some more all timeshare forums on the internet concerning all aspects of timesharing until you know exactly what you want and how much you're willing to pay for Hilton points.

If you are still trying to figure out how to use or exchange your David Walley resale bought timeshare, then you have a lot to learn before investing in a developer bought timeshare or points.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 24, 2008 04:57 AM

Feb 24, 2008

jayjay wrote:
johng596 wrote:

Rescind, rescind, rescind immediately. You can find Hilton points on the resale market for much lower than developer cost. Search (right hand corner of this page) 'how to rescind' and make sure you do it within your rescission timeframe and go by the rescission instructions clause in your contract or it will be a moot point and you will be stuck with your ultra expensive developer bought timeshare.

Research, research and research some more all timeshare forums on the internet concerning all aspects of timesharing until you know exactly what you want and how much you're willing to pay for Hilton points.

If you are still trying to figure out how to use or exchange your David Walley resale bought timeshare, then you have a lot to learn before investing in a developer bought timeshare or points.

============= I believe Judi Koslowski's Re Max office deals with many Hilton resales. They should be able to answer points questions.

Mike N.
Mar 02, 2008

I own many HGVC timeshares. They are all by points. I am very pleased with it. I bought two resales thru the same broker in Hawaii and I was very pleased with it. I have a total of about 15,500 points which qualified for HGVC elite membership, that supposedly you can make reservation to any HGVC 12 months in advance and paying no reservation fees. I checked with HGVC. They told me that I do not qualify to become Elite member since I did not buy a single one from the developer. I think that is the only draw back. I plan to buy some from the developer next time. I do like HGVC properties.

I curretnly have no problem making most of the reservations that I want by paying a reservation fee. Only the peak one (such as X'mas and New Year) in certain place is harder if you do not reserve it 12 month in advance.

Corinna W.
Mar 20, 2008

My wife and I purchased a resale at the HGVC in Orlando back in 2006. We too were told (by Hilton) that we could could not upgrade and that we would lose all sorts of privileges if we did not buy through them. We paid less than half of what Hilton wanted for the same 7,000 points. And two years later we have yet to be treated any differently than anyone else. We still get our yearly guides (which hilton told us we would not get). Don't believe the developers when they say they you don't get the same privileges. Our only complaint about Hilton in general is that you can only book 9 months in advance for a resort that is not your home resort. That was not a big deal (since everyone at HGVC was in the same boat), until they created an "elite" membership (which costs more). Those people can book a year out while we have to wait until 9 months out. It costs us a trip we were going to send our parents on to Cabo this winter, but otherwise we have had no problems. The resorts are spectacular.

Ryan G.
Sep 22, 2013

Have you added more points from the developer yet? If not I can give you information on the best price per point and the lowest main-fees in their system

Andrea Z.
Sep 22, 2013

Hilton treats everyone the same, however you can not get Elite privlages which is huge when you climb to 14,000 points and above. You get Hilton hotel gold benefits that give you suites upgrades without paying the money. a special elite line, early access to new high end resorts like Myrtle Beach when they first opened when they have minimal inventory. Always buy retail with free Bonus points which equals free money. They have the happiest owners in the timeshare industry after I have owned timeshare and used to work for other resorts

Andrea Z.
Aug 04, 2014

Do you still have the information of the best price per point and lowest maint. fees? I have over 10000 HGVClub points that I bought second hand. If I buy enough points from Hilton to get me over 14000 points will I be eligible for elite status? If so, where should I buy the points?

andreaz29 wrote:
Have you added more points from the developer yet? If not I can give you information on the best price per point and the lowest main-fees in their system

Larry W.
Aug 04, 2014

There are many HGVC (Hilton Grand Vacation Club) resorts and Hilton Club in NYC. Hilton Club is separate from HGVC. Hilton Club MF is 0.27 per points. You have to pay a separate Club membership fee. HGVC points can not use to book Hilton Club NY (HCNY). The only one can book into Hilton Club NY are Hilton club owner. The average cost per night in studio for weekend for owner are $320. It is expensive compare with HGVC studio. HGVC resorts has different categories too. One is affiliated with Hilton, the other is developed by Hilton. If yours is the original developed by Hilton, you got the points automatically. If your resort is affiliated with Hilton, you have to pay a one time fee to convert to HGVC points. The MF is depends on the season and resorts. You also has to pay a annual membership fee. If yours is by points, you can exchange to RCI with HGVC. You can call HGVC to find out the details. If yours is not by points, you have to reserve a week and deposit into your own RCI account.

It you converted to HGVC points, you will be able to book into any other GVC resorts with your points. The MF for HGVC vs the MF for non points is slightly higher because you will have to pay an annual membership fee even your use is every other year. You also has to pay a reservation fee of $69.

Also, resale is much cheaper than buy from HGVC development. If you want more info, you can go to TUG (timeshare user group) to find out.

johng596 wrote:

Corinna W.
Oct 28, 2014

You answered a question regarding a question I had. We like the HGVC system. Where do you buy the "lowest cost per point" with the "lowest maintenance fee"?

-Will

larryw118 wrote:
Do you still have the information of the best price per point and lowest maint. fees? I have over 10000 HGVClub points that I bought second hand. If I buy enough points from Hilton to get me over 14000 points will I be eligible for elite status? If so, where should I buy the points?

andreaz29 wrote:

William B.
Nov 13, 2014

we got a resale condo several years ago and are not rely impressed with Hilton. Buy buying resale they charge an extra $140 for club membership. And I feel the selection of places to go is very limited. Of course You can transfer points into RCI, but that is an addition charge and then you pay an extra $200 or so when you reserve a unit. Plan on trying to resale it soon!

Deb B.
Nov 02, 2015

Considering points at waikoloa. Please send info on points and fees

Robert B.
Nov 03, 2015

4The resale points works basically the same as the developer's points. You should go to TUGBBS.com to check it out. The resale point would not get you to elite status and that is the main difference. If you do not care about being elite or get to elite status, definitely go for resale. I have points from developer and resale. But I do not see too much difference in most of the benefit. You could save some discount in reservation fee, guest certificate fees and a little bit perk in some other. But the saving does not worth paying tens of thousand. The saving can cover you for dozens of years by paying a little more in fees. The only advice I will give is if you do go for resale, buy only the real Hilton developed resort and buy the platinum season unit. Those usually are a little more expensive. You save the maintenance fee and can sale better if you want to get rid of it.

Corinna W.
Feb 29, 2016

Can you combine points from your multiple properties or are you limited to the max points of a single property per stay.

Brent C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.