Aug 13, 2008

I traded a timeshare from El Cid in Mazatlan to Mayan Palace in Puerto Vallarta...LAST SEPTEMBER (2007). The deal is being handled by Holiday Equity in Seattle. Anyway, El Cid is now a Wyndham resort and that has pushed back the transfer date. I called Holiday today and was told I will be getting my final invoice from Wyndham in the next few days and that it may still take another 2 months or so to complete the transfer. I initially purchased 2 weeks with 1 sunpack week but this year I have not used any because of the transfer problem. I called Mayan and they show me in the system and have added 2 more weeks to my account. I have until the end of December to use them. Since I am now in an incredible crunch, I would like to rent some of those weeks out. This would be the first time for me to rent out the timeshare and I am still a bit confused about how the whole process works (even though we have owned for about 5 years). I understand that doing it myself is probably the most cost effective way, but I have a lot of weeks to rent and not too much time to do it so I could use some help. I really don't want to go through the hassle of doing it myself. Mayan did give me a list of companies:

Destinations International Condolink Regal Resales Resort Rentals Royal Marketing Group (I read enough on these forums to STAY AWAY from these guys) World Access Systems Inc. (WASI)

Has anyone had any experience with any of these companies?

Thanks for the help. Dave

David W.
Aug 14, 2008

Hi Dave

I'm in a very similar situation in some respects. I need to get my week at Mayan rented before I lose it at the end of this year! Haven't got the faintest idea where to start + I'm English and having to convert absolutely every costing. I too have owned for 5 years at Mayan, and so far have used my week (exchanged the other one), but this year just can't. Mayan also recommended the companies to me that they also gave to you, but I have chosen not to use them because I know nothing about them and no-one in the UK that I know has used them.

PLEASE, can someone take pity on we Newbie's and help out a bit here? It is always nerve-wracking where money is concerned and nothing is face to face, but we just need a little bit of a guide where to start.

Dave - I think we can do this ourselves if we team up! A problem shared etc!

Regards

Jane O.
Aug 14, 2008

Never pay an upfront fee to any agency to list your timeshare for rent. There are hundreds of rental sites on the internet where you can list it yourself including here at Redweek for a minimal fee.

You must research to see how much you may actually rent it for .... if you're desperate I would keep the rental price low to be more competitive. Also, the time you own (or you book) is critical as some weeks (seasons) are more popular than others. You have to take all these factors in consideration.

R P.
Aug 14, 2008

jayjay wrote:
Never pay an upfront fee to any agency to list your timeshare for rent. There are hundreds of rental sites on the internet where you can list it yourself including here at Redweek for a minimal fee.

You must research to see how much you may actually rent it for .... if you're desperate I would keep the rental price low to be more competitive. Also, the time you own (or you book) is critical as some weeks (seasons) are more popular than others. You have to take all these factors in consideration.

================ Use the "I want to" link at the top of the page to search RedWeek for various threads about renting. Also go to www.tugbbs.com/forums. There will be good information for renting as well. If your check-in date is within the next 45 days, you can list a free rental in the Forums (rent has to be less than $700). Other options is to deposit the unit with one of the exchange companies (RCI, II, RedWeek, DAE, etc) so you don't lose it entirely

Mike N.
Aug 15, 2008

mike1536 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

================ Use the "I want to" link at the top of the page to search RedWeek for various threads about renting. Also go to www.tugbbs.com/forums. There will be good information for renting as well. If your check-in date is within the next 45 days, you can list a free rental in the Forums (rent has to be less than $700). Other options is to deposit the unit with one of the exchange companies (RCI, II, RedWeek, DAE, etc) so you don't lose it entirely

I agree. Never pay an upfront rental fee. Resorts International took my $300 and I never heard from them again. I rented a few units privately but its not easy. Its a full time job and a lot of almosts and quite a few disappointments. Good luck.

Debra G.
Aug 15, 2008

davidw673 wrote:
I traded a timeshare from El Cid in Mazatlan to Mayan Palace in Puerto Vallarta...LAST SEPTEMBER (2007). The deal is being handled by Holiday Equity in Seattle. Anyway, El Cid is now a Wyndham resort and that has pushed back the transfer date. I called Holiday today and was told I will be getting my final invoice from Wyndham in the next few days and that it may still take another 2 months or so to complete the transfer. I initially purchased 2 weeks with 1 sunpack week but this year I have not used any because of the transfer problem. I called Mayan and they show me in the system and have added 2 more weeks to my account. I have until the end of December to use them. Since I am now in an incredible crunch, I would like to rent some of those weeks out. This would be the first time for me to rent out the timeshare and I am still a bit confused about how the whole process works (even though we have owned for about 5 years). I understand that doing it myself is probably the most cost effective way, but I have a lot of weeks to rent and not too much time to do it so I could use some help. I really don't want to go through the hassle of doing it myself. Mayan did give me a list of companies:

Destinations International Condolink Regal Resales Resort Rentals Royal Marketing Group (I read enough on these forums to STAY AWAY from these guys) World Access Systems Inc. (WASI)

Has anyone had any experience with any of these companies?

Thanks for the help. Dave

I would call GrupoMayan or email them and find out if you can transfer your weeks over explaining your circumstances.

Fran B.
Aug 25, 2008

janeo5 wrote:
Hi Dave

I'm in a very similar situation in some respects. I need to get my week at Mayan rented before I lose it at the end of this year! Haven't got the faintest idea where to start + I'm English and having to convert absolutely every costing. I too have owned for 5 years at Mayan, and so far have used my week (exchanged the other one), but this year just can't. Mayan also recommended the companies to me that they also gave to you, but I have chosen not to use them because I know nothing about them and no-one in the UK that I know has used them.

PLEASE, can someone take pity on we Newbie's and help out a bit here? It is always nerve-wracking where money is concerned and nothing is face to face, but we just need a little bit of a guide where to start.

Dave - I think we can do this ourselves if we team up! A problem shared etc!

Regards

Hi, Did you ever figure out how you are going to do this? I just found out I have another week, which puts me at 6 weeks and I have until Dec. 31. The problem for me was actually created when El Cid sold to Wyndham, and my transfer company (Holiday) was unable to proceed directly with the transfer. I thought I was in no man's land with no ability to use the timeshare. Then I found out that I better use these weeks or lose them. At any rate, I have contacted ARDA and Condolink about prospective brokerage. Where do you stand. Thanks, Dave

David W.
Aug 26, 2008

davidw673 wrote:
Hi, Did you ever figure out how you are going to do this? I just found out I have another week, which puts me at 6 weeks and I have until Dec. 31. The problem for me was actually created when El Cid sold to Wyndham, and my transfer company (Holiday) was unable to proceed directly with the transfer. I thought I was in no man's land with no ability to use the timeshare. Then I found out that I better use these weeks or lose them. At any rate, I have contacted ARDA and Condolink about prospective brokerage. Where do you stand. Thanks, Dave

As stated before thousands of times in these forums, never pay an upfront fee to a rental agency to list your timeshare in a database that no one will ever see.

You can rent your timeshare yourself here at Redweek and/or other timeshare ad sites on the internet where you'll get far more exposure. Price your weeks competitvely (lower than others listed at your resort) as December 31 is not that far off. It's very easy to place a rental ad here on Redweek.

If you get no responses within a couple of weeks continue to lower your rental price.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.