Solmar Resort

Attn: Owners, renters & potential buyers

Apr 17, 2009

I own 5 weeks at Solmar, been going every March since 1995. Was disgusted to learn that Solmar is tearing down all hotel rooms and replacing them with either 6 to 10 story high buildings taking away the direct beach access and my beautiful ocean view. They also closed one of the pools and the restaurant. They are destroying this beautiful resort! All they see is dollar signs selling the new buildings. My maintenance fees go up every year with no improvements to my rooms. They don't care about us current owners. It is just shameful. I will be looking for another place to vacation, as much as it breaks my heart. I bought Solmar for it's quaintness and charm. If I wanted a mega-resort I would have bought at Playa (too) Grande or someplace else.

Lois M.
Oct 08, 2009

Well, the lovely quaint quiet Sol Mar with the aesthetically pleasing simplicity against the backdrop of the great rock and the sweep of beach where you could feel the waves hit the beach ...away from the hoopla of the oversized and overdone resorts like Playa Grande etc ...is no more . Those of us who treasured our little hotel units on the beach in the original wings will likely not be too interested in "upgrading" to something that is the antithesis of the uniqueness etc of the old , original Sol Mar.

I am told that Cascades on the main beach maintains some of the old feel... but I am looking to other places for a quiet retreat resort...I used to come here every year and like the staff and met nice compatible guests who shared the same appreciation for it. The new units are probably nice and just like all the other super resorts....overpriced and about the same, having destroyed the beauty that brought us to this site.

Mary L R.
Aug 27, 2011

I have a friend who owns in March. I might be interested in buying one at a very good price.

Terry G.

Last edited by marty8084 on Aug 27, 2011 11:27 PM

Aug 10, 2012

Is anyone else experiencing calls from admin Solmar regarding offering buyouts and or upgrades because they tore down our hotel units? Just wondering how legal and legitimate this is?

Leeanna M.
Nov 02, 2012

I just received a call offering to buy me out for a very low price, or to move me to another unit in Playa Granda or Grand Solmor, at no cost and at the same maintenance fee as my original Solmar contract. I am not sure if this is legit cause when I got the new Purchase Agreement and Relinquish Letter, I asked them to add a paragraph under Maintenance and Operation Fees confirming same. I was told that they could not make any changes on Contract? Who did you get a call from?

Lisa K.
Nov 03, 2012

Dear lovers of the "Old Solmar" who mourn the loss of the place to the new "Grand Sol Mar" : I have found a new place which has much of the charm of the old Solmar which we loved so much. We spent a few nights there on our latest trip to Cabo and will be back. It is an older resort hotel right on the beach..with quiet , has a lovely pool, a lovely beach and delightful staff. I will be doing a review for TripAdvisor. It has the old inlaid stone paths and use of tile...and old style ...The resturant is good as well , and definitely not overpriced. I was beginning to despair of finding a place to fill the hole left by the loss of Solmar...More later. You can message me for more details..... Another bonus: iguanas and other critters can be seen nearby and its very close to one of the best snorkeling beaches in los cabos, Chileno Beach. Its called Mirabella.

Mary L R.

Last edited by wendywins on Nov 03, 2012 05:38 PM

Nov 07, 2012

That sounds like the "Old Solmar". Please send more details. I will be in Los Cabos next week and would like to take a look. Thanks

Lisa K.
Nov 07, 2012

It is Mirabella which is close to Chileno Bay on the corridor between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. Just pull into the front and go talk to them inside, maybe ask to see a room and for their rates... We had a 2 bedroom/2bth suite and it was just fine. Lots of steps down to the pool and beach but there appear to be some ramps which might be easier for those with mobility challenges. We loved the place.

lisak467 wrote:
That sounds like the "Old Solmar". Please send more details. I will be in Los Cabos next week and would like to take a look. Thanks

Mary L R.
Dec 13, 2012

I received an email from Solmar offering the same as what they offered you....do you have any updates on whether this is legit or not?

lisak467 wrote:
I just received a call offering to buy me out for a very low price, or to move me to another unit in Playa Granda or Grand Solmor, at no cost and at the same maintenance fee as my original Solmar contract. I am not sure if this is legit cause when I got the new Purchase Agreement and Relinquish Letter, I asked them to add a paragraph under Maintenance and Operation Fees confirming same. I was told that they could not make any changes on Contract? Who did you get a call from?

Sue R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.