Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

How to sell your timeshare fast??

Nov 17, 2008

Does anyone have any tips how to move a timeshare quickly- I have share at Marriot Frenchmans Cove that I am currentluy selling 10k below Marriots asking price. I listed with Timeshares Only back in Jan 08 and so far only had two offers(both absurdly low). I recently dropped my price significantly but still no legitmate offers. I also started posting on Craigslist but again no offers. The only replies from CL are people offering their services to list with them for a fee. Or people are trying to push me to similar fee sites with masked affiliate links buy pretending to be interested in purchasing when they are only interested in me following their link.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as i need to move this property but I am not dropping my price any further.

Keith S.
Nov 17, 2008

keiths141 wrote:
Does anyone have any tips how to move a timeshare quickly- I have share at Marriot Frenchmans Cove that I am currentluy selling 10k below Marriots asking price. I am not dropping my price any further.

In this day the term quickly not happening in most cases!

Now that you have put your foot down on dropping price more you might just be out of luck.

I don't know if you have same options but Kathy a Marriott owner in Colorado asked questions this year and I recommended she let Marriott sell it.

She just return to say Marriott did sell it and even after high fee she made out better than selling herself!

With your thinking right now on locking your price up I would say to make plans to use it in 09 because you most likly will still own it!

GOOD LUCK! PHILL12

Phil L.
Nov 17, 2008

The problem with this Marriot unit is it is new construction and they are still buiding and offering NEW units. They are going to focus on the remaining sales of new units before they worry about selling resales.

As far as putting my foot down. I have to as iI have already discounted this unit 30% compared to Marriots asking price. I would like to sell it but i cannot give the thing away.

Keith S.
Nov 17, 2008

I understand where your coming from because it is hard to just lose money!

Your right, if they are selling new then they won't have resale yet.

We have a topic of companies on Redweek that list companies that sell and take their commission after sale and they run for $1500-$2000 but get job done or make no money and this might be a good choice for you.

I listed one in Lake Tahoe area so your area probably has something too!

PHILL12

Phil L.
Nov 18, 2008

keiths141 wrote:
The problem with this Marriot unit is it is new construction and they are still buiding and offering NEW units. They are going to focus on the remaining sales of new units before they worry about selling resales.

As far as putting my foot down. I have to as iI have already discounted this unit 30% compared to Marriots asking price. I would like to sell it but i cannot give the thing away.

Is this 'under construction' unit paid for or are you financing it with a balance due?

If you owe money, you won't sell it until it's paid off. Also, it's probably unrealistic to think someone would buy something that's not even built yet (under construction).

And even after it's built and paid for, you have to sell it for what the market (buyer) will offer. It's a buyer't market, definitely not a sellers market in the current timeshare marketplace).

R P.
Nov 18, 2008

Keith, Jayjay is right about if it is paid off now or your stuck in payments.

It would make transfers of timeshares much easier if owner could just hand it over to someone and transfer payment plans but that is something not available I guess!

There are many people that might like a top timeshare and take over payments just to get in with no money!

When people buy from developers and walk out the door new buyer just lost 50% of their money in many cases so someone buying a resale for half or less and just taking over payments would be great for them.

This loss idea sucks but in timeshares its just the fact and thousands just want out and would transfer their loan in a heart beat.

Problem now is if someone buys your unit or any resale they need to have the money or credit available to do this.

Since you have spent all this money already your best choice if possible would to do what you planned on when buying it and use it for your family for few years and enjoy.

Looks like a great resort from the on-line photo's!

Keith have you checked out the forum here on Redweek for your resort? There are three pages of owners talking about it and some saying they want to buy second week if they find what they want resale. One lady even offering financing which might be good depending on terms to sell her unit.

The prices listed for sale range from $10,000-$40,000 so you might list on Redweek also but need good price.

Never hurts to spend few minutes reading the forum on your resort.

PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Nov 18, 2008 10:14 PM

Nov 19, 2008

I do NOT have a loan on it. Paid in full. As far as construction, perhaps I should clarify. At this point it is more like expansion as they are adding more units. The resort amenities are completed as well as 80% of the available units. Completion of the remainder is expected by end of 2009.

Keith S.

Last edited by marty8084 on Nov 19, 2008 08:16 PM

Nov 20, 2008

keiths141 stated this (verbatim) in his initial post. ============================================= Unfortunately, the harsh reality of timeshare resales is that a smart buyer simply does not care what a seller may have paid originally, purchasing "developer direct". The informed buyer knows that the original purchase figure really has nothing at all to do with resale market value. In the resale market, there is only one question a careful and informed buyer asks himself / herself ---"What is the lowest price for which I can buy a week like this one in the resale market"?

If a resort is sufficiently new as to not yet be "sold out", there may be no "resale" history or figures available yet to use as a benchmark or reference point. In those cases (and in this economy) I'd still be willing to venture a very general guess that 50-60% of current developer pricing may very well be the best possible resale price scenario --- maybe considerably less, unlikely to be any more. I'd be delighted to be mistaken, but would readily take that bet.

Also, with Marriott there are certain (admittedly minor) benefits provided with a "developer direct" purchase which disappear once that purchase subsequently becomes a "resale". While these "benefits" are limited (use of points toward other applications, etc.) are not a particularly big deal (imho), the mere fact that they become no longer available in a resale purchase surely does not enhance the marketability of a Marriott resale.

I wish you luck. This is certainly a very, very difficult time to be in the position of looking for a "fast" resale of a developer direct purchase --- and also holding a hard line on a selling price. You may very well have to soften your position in the face of today's economic reality.

Have you had any conversation directly with Marriott? Although I frankly doubt it, they might entertain a negotiation for a "buy-back", rather than see one of their products being advertised and potentially sold resale at 50% of what they are selling weeks for developer-direct. It certainly can't hurt to at least ask...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 20, 2008 06:57 AM

Nov 20, 2008

My advice, since the timeshare is paid for, is to use, exchange or try to rent it until the economy straightens out.

R P.
Nov 29, 2008

Does anyone have any experience of QUITTING a timeshare? Just up and stop paying any more annual fees? I own at Sheraton's Vistana Resort near Disney World, and I cannot sell or GIVE my timeshare away.( I've tried, many times, to give it away.) I don't want it, don't need it, and they don't care. They are hounding me now every month, adding late fees, lockout charges, etc. and my 2008 week hasn't even come up yet. (It's December.) Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Joseph B.

Last edited by marty8084 on Nov 29, 2008 10:58 PM

Nov 30, 2008

See may answer on your other thread.

R P.
Jan 24, 2009

I'm not that familiar with these postings; but has anyone got comments or experience trying to rent or sell their unit at Villa del Palmar Flamingos in Nuevo Vallarta? It is in Nuevo Vallarta which is about 20min North of the airport...

Peter C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.