Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

rental pricing, new to redweek

Feb 18, 2009

I am new to this whole world but looking for a less expensive trip for my family of 4. The weekly price listed on the time share rental, is that per person or per room? They are usually per person but I didn't see any clarification. I hope this isn't a dumb question :-)

Laura W.
Feb 18, 2009

Prices are based on unit for the week!

Do your home work and make sure who your dealing with on here and other sites.

With the way the world is going right now there have been many scams dealing with timeshares and the low-life's coming out of the wood work as my mother use to say.

PHILL12

Phil L.
Feb 18, 2009

I am a little sceptical, I just read an article on fox and saw this website. Some of the Mexico deals seem very cheap. Does the unit price include all-inclusive packages as well?

Laura W.
Feb 18, 2009

lauraw163 wrote:
Some of the Mexico deals seem very cheap. Does the unit price include all-inclusive packages as well?
No, the all-inclusive fee is paid directly to the resort. There may be cases where the fee is cheaper if renting from an owner (Lifestyles resorts in the DR comes to mind). Be very leery if an owner is attempting to collect an AI fee.

Mike N.
Feb 20, 2009

When you see the rental price it usually breaks it down per day, and total for the week & on my rental it's for a family of 6 or less. Mine in Myrtle Beach for a 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath is for the entire week. Hope this was some help to you, Barbrara

Barbara M.
Feb 20, 2009

Thanks for all your help, couple more questions. So how do you find out what the AI rate is? Do you need to contact the resort?

Laura W.
Feb 20, 2009

lauraw163 wrote:
Thanks for all your help, couple more questions. So how do you find out what the AI rate is? Do you need to contact the resort?
I would first ask the person from whom you are renting and then confirm the cost with the resort.

Mike N.
Feb 24, 2009

You say to do your homework on the renter. How would one go about "homeworking" a renter? Is using the Escrow service the best way to avaoid a scammer?

John C.
Feb 24, 2009

johnc1143 wrote:
You say to do your homework on the renter. How would one go about "homeworking" a renter? Is using the Escrow service the best way to avaoid a scammer?
IMO, escrow protects the renter more than the owner. The Escrow service promoted by RedWeek is First American Title Insurance, which charges an additional non-refundable fee of $100-$200 depending on the cost of the rental. I don’t see much, if any, protection for the owner. The escrow company is just a third party “holding” the money. They are not responsible for the renter’s actions while staying in your timeshare.

The renter pays 50% deposit, then the balance 60 days prior to check-in. If the check-in period is within 60 days of the rental agreement then full payment is due. First American Title does not send a check until 11 days after the rental period, providing there are no disputes. I’m assuming even a minor dispute would hold up the funds.

If the renter does not pay the final payment, the owner gets the deposit. In many cases, 50% won’t even cover the MFs AND now there is less than 60 days to try to re-rent the unit.

If you’re an owner and accept a check, I would only accept a check drawn on a US bank, not a third party check and only in the exact amount agreed upon. Remember, you still “hold all the cards” since if there is a problem with the payment, all you need to do is inform the resort that Mr. & Mrs. X does not have permission to use the unit.

As a renter, contact the resort and try to verify the person is actually the owner and they are not trying to rent out an exchange (if an owner mentions anything about obtaining a guest certificate, then avoid the deal. It’s a sign that they are probably trying to rent out an exchange). Get the owners emails, phone numbers, etc so you can Google to your hearts content to verify my identity.

IMO, 99% of the owners are honest people who are not out to scam others. Unfortunately there are scammers out there, taking money for rentals they do not own.

Mike N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.