Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I need EVERYONE'S opinion please!!

Apr 30, 2009

I have a Wyndham ownership and I am looking to get rid it, but realize I would never get enough to pay it off, lol. So, I have an idea and want to get ALL opinions please.

I am thinking of doing a raffle for it. $50 per ticket. Here's the catch, I must sale a certain amount of tickets. If I don't, EVERYONE will receive a refund for their ticket. Also, ANYTHING over the certain amount of tickets set will go to my Church since it is really struggling financially. If i do this, I would put a vid of the drawing on Youtube or somewhere like that so that everyone could see that it was REAL and not just taking peoples money. I would also have a celebrity do the drawing. I would MASS advertise it, anywhere that I could. Flyers locally, classifieds, Ebay, timeshare forums, etc. What do you guys think? Is this a good idea? I mean, it would help me and my Church I think. How many tickets do you think I would sell at $50 each over 6 months??

Ken H.
Apr 30, 2009

kenh186 wrote:
I have a Wyndham ownership and I am looking to get rid it, but realize I would never get enough to pay it off, lol. So, I have an idea and want to get ALL opinions please.

I am thinking of doing a raffle for it. $50 per ticket. Here's the catch, I must sale a certain amount of tickets. If I don't, EVERYONE will receive a refund for their ticket. Also, ANYTHING over the certain amount of tickets set will go to my Church since it is really struggling financially. If i do this, I would put a vid of the drawing on Youtube or somewhere like that so that everyone could see that it was REAL and not just taking peoples money. I would also have a celebrity do the drawing. I would MASS advertise it, anywhere that I could. Flyers locally, classifieds, Ebay, timeshare forums, etc. What do you guys think? Is this a good idea? I mean, it would help me and my Church I think. How many tickets do you think I would sell at $50 each over 6 months??

First the bad news. I don't know where you live, but I'm guessing you'd be violating your state's gambling laws since you'd be receiving money from the ticket sales.

Now, let's assume that you are legally allowed to have the raffle. I don't know where you own or how many Wyndham points you own, but Wyndham is a pretty cheap buy on eBay. These days, someone could probably pick up a Wyndham for around the cost of a few $50 tickets.

Recently in our local church, a guy raffled off his TS, but he gave ALL the proceeds to the church. I never followed up on it so I don't know how it turned out. Items such as closing costs, etc were never discussed.

It sounds like you owe a LOT on the loan, so unless you were willing to bite the bullet and pay off the loan, then donate the TS to the church for the raffle, I don't think you'd have much success. Just my humble opinion.

Mike N.
Apr 30, 2009

If you advertise it on e-Bay, you'd be competing with all the timeshares that are on BUY IT NOW sale for $1 (or less). Unfortunately, you aren't the only one who's looking to offload a timeshare and many are effectively paying people to take them off their hands.

David D.
May 06, 2009

You are in trouble. No little raffle or scheme will get you out of the contract, I think.

John C.
May 06, 2009

davidd320 wrote:
If you advertise it on e-Bay, you'd be competing with all the timeshares that are on BUY IT NOW sale for $1 (or less). Unfortunately, you aren't the only one who's looking to offload a timeshare and many are effectively paying people to take them off their hands.
With an outstanding loan, a sale on eBay or paying a PCC to take will not be a viable solution. At best he need to learn how to best use the timeshare, either use it, exchange it, or rent it.

Mike N.
Jun 23, 2009

That's such a great idea and noble purpose! It will work great thru ebay and dont limit the amount of tickets, you can use the same numbers as one lotto so there are no scams involved!!!

Lucky one, a timeshare for $50 is the best deal ever!

Love2travel L.
Jun 25, 2009

love2travel4 wrote:
That's such a great idea and noble purpose! It will work great thru ebay and dont limit the amount of tickets, you can use the same numbers as one lotto so there are no scams involved!!!

Lucky one, a timeshare for $50 is the best deal ever!

This is unlawful if the timeshare is not free of all liens and encumbrances (loan balances, outstanding maintenance fees/special assessments etc.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.