Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I will be a first time RENTER...

Jul 11, 2009

I have points with Wyndham that I can not utilize this year. I have put them with an outside source and YES shame on me I paid an upfront fee with not sucess!! So thought I would give this a try. I have already booked a week duriing Thanksgiving and know the I need to post that time on this site. **Can I get some possitive feedback on the success?** I have created/motified a rental agreement and opened up a paypal account. My main question is -- Do I ask for payment in full @ time of adding renter to confirmaion.. or do I ask for a deposit and set up payments? I know I would like to ask for payment in full - no refund. BUT is that acceptable to Renters?? Or will it scare them away?

Margaret I.
Jul 11, 2009

Many owners that rent out ask for the payment in full upfront with no refund ..... some ask for a deposit and the balance paid a certain amount of time before the rental date ...... it's actually up to you as to how you do this.

Go here http://www.redweek.com/resources/rental_process/private/ and to step #2 for a rental agreement that may answer some of your questions ..... you were smart by opening a paypal account for instant payment.

R P.
Jul 11, 2009

thank you for your reply.. have you sold on Redweek?

Margaret I.
Jul 12, 2009

I sold all nine of my timeshares via Redweek and other internet listing sites, HOWEVER that was before postcard companies hit the market with $1 timeshares on Ebay and way before the downturn in the economy. I listed them for what I paid on the resale market and they were a bargain at that time. I had a loss on the only one that we bought from a developer (typical). We didn't know about resales until after we bought from the developer.

R P.
Jul 20, 2009

Hi margaret...you are looking to rent out your timeshare for the first time, and I was just a first time renter. It took me some time of talking with various individuals before I felt comfortable sending my money to a stranger, to be sure. We used the contract that redweek provides. This particular person did not want to use an escrow service, as they would not get their money until 60 days after my departure, and there was a fee for the service (though I offered to cover the entire fee). I spoke with the woman on the phone several times and finally just felt comfortable with her. Yes, it was a NO REFUND policy, which was a little tough to swallow to be sure. What if my kid got sick and we couldn't go? But I purchased traveler's insurance, just in case. For anyone considering purchasing traveler's insurance, I received the following information from insuremytrip.com: <<...the following(traveler's insurance companies) have responded that you CAN insure your prepaid and non-refundable trip expenses, including a private timeshare rental:

CSA Travel Protection Travelex Global Alert TravelSafe American Express

As you are aware from our discussion the other night, TravelGuard and Travel Insured will not allow this expense to be insured. >>

Good luck!

Laura C.
Jul 20, 2009

Thank you very much for the information. I will keep insuremytrip.com in mind when I get an offer on my week. Hope you and your family have a fabulous trip.

Margaret I.
Jul 22, 2009

wendyp117 wrote:
Its good if you will be the one that is going to use first the property because you are secured that the thing is clean and safe 'coz its not yet being used by anyone else.

"Wendy", if you are going to try to respond to an email to give you the opportunity to include your spam, it's best to post a sensible reply. "First time renter" DOES NOT mean the unit has never been rented before.

In any case I don't think we will be seeing "Wendy" any time soon. He/she blasted the spam on this site and is now off to other places.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Jul 22, 2009 04:41 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.