Jul 25, 2009

I recently purchased a 2 bedroom with lockoff option at Maui Ocean Club. My plan for 2010 is to trade the 1 bedroom Master for a 2 Bedroom in Hilton Head, Florida, or Myrtle Beach. My understanding is that although I am only depositing one bedroom, since there are only two bedrooms available at these other resorts, I have a good chance of getting them. I will then rent the remaining lockoff suite on redweek to ideally cover the maintenance fees. That way, I will still have my family vacation (for 6) and have covered my fees at my home resort. Does this logic make sense? Am I missing something?

Chas G.
Jul 25, 2009

Chuck, If you are talking about doing this trade with RCI , then I know you can trade a one bedroom and get a two bedroom in exchange. Where you could have a problem is when you are trying to trade a lesser value prop for a much higher value unit. Since you own in Hawaii, and are looking to go to Hilton Head, I wouldn't think you would have a problem. There are many timeshare units at Hilton Head to choose from. If you were trying to trade into Southwest Florida, it may be harder during prime time, because most owners use their units or are able to rent them out easily for a great rate, so not much is available for trades. Give RCI your unit as soon as you know you are not going to use it, & pay for and start a search. Most of my trades are with units I give to RCI with my request almost 2 years before planing on using. You get much better trading power this way. Good luck, hope this helped a little.

Paulette R.
Jul 26, 2009

We previously owned a one bedroom week at Orange Lake. When we were ready for an exchange, we deposited our one bedroom into RCI and looked for resorts that had only 2 bedrooms and was successful in those trades, so yes it does work, however be sure to price your rental in Hawaii for the other side of the lockoff competitively (sp) so that your rental may be successful in this down economy.

R P.
Jul 26, 2009

Thanks. It is a Marriott property. I already split the lockoff and will likely list the suite for rental soon. It is at a high week (27?) so I am hoping that I can at least recover the fees. The lockoff option is what sold me on the whole deal. As long as most of the fees are covered each year by renting the suite, it seems like a good deal.

Chas G.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.