Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

THE INSIDE SCOOP - I am a Time Share Super Pro

Apr 16, 2010

The INSIDE scoop from a pro Time Share salesman

Until retiring a few years ago, I sold timeshare for Vacation Internationale and for Trendwest ( Worldmark by Wyndham ) for 19 years. When I began in the early 90's, it was a big hit. Vacation Internationale was the ONLY points system on the market and it was a more flexible way to own and use timeshare. Then Trendwest copied the idea flat out, called them "credits" and went to town building resorts everywhere and opening sales offices all over the place. But thats not what I am here to tell you about. Here's whats really going on from the sales perspective. The time share company first solicits you in to see their presentation by offering you anything from a free radio to a trip to Vegas for example. The first rip off ! The trip to Vegas is all but unusable as it is loaded with restrictions and add on fees. You MUST travel mid week for example and the hotel you'll be staying at is almost always a dump. Oh, you want to bring the kids, upgrade fee. You want a nicer accommodation, upgrade fee. You want to stay an extra day, HUGE upgrade fee. Oh and lets not forget that they are not available during the desirable times of the year as well. Good Luck trying to ACTUALLY USE one of these certificates. Wyndham actually calls them "mooch bait". The timeshare companies actually have this down to a science. They rely on you NOT USING the certificate which costs them very little this way. If you do use it, its called "Breakage" and then it costs them plenty. So its a total conflict of interests. Less then 3% of the "free" certificates actually ever get used. The vast majority of them wind up on top of your refrigerator till they expire. And if you do actually go, you will be required to attend ANOTHER timeshare presentation when you get there. BEWARE what they DON'T tell you. Thats the marketing end of the timeshare business and it is a HUGE industry. Just getting you into see a presentation is a very BIG business in itself. Its full of pressure, lies, mistruths, and loopholes and is never ever designed to be in your benefit what so ever.

Then comes the presentation. As a salesperson, you will be trained to lie, thats right LIE, mislead, deceive, embellish, prey on emotions and did I for get something … oh yes, HIGH PRESSURE ! You will be mislead about quality of accommodations, or lets just say "exaggerated". You will be totally mislead about availability and you will be HIGH pressured into making an emotional decision without respect for your need or desire to do any research. You'll be told that if you don't buy TONIGHT, you won't get the same "deal" thereafter. What a rip that is !!!!! They clearly want to make you emotional and to make errors in sound judgement. I will go on record for this. My project directors told me time and time again on a bad night ( low sales ), or if they needed to hit a higher bonus level, To use the T.A.F.T. theory of sales which simply means TAFT = Tell Them ANY FU----G THING, just get the sale. They know full well that if given an opportunity to research, you'd surely find that the same deal can be had on the aftermarket for around 1/3 the price. Dissatisfied owners are selling and bailing out all over the place. Resales are available on Craigs List, your local classified in the news paper, as well as on Ebay and from a splinter industry called the resale market. Many of which are owned by the same company that sold you the overpriced time share to begin with.

Here's what NOT to do.

Don't EVER make a first day buying decision at the presentation ! Let me repeat that … DON'T EVER MAKE A FIRST DAY BUYING DECISION WITHOUT SLEEPING ON IT AND DOING A LITTLE INVESTIGATING FIRST !!! If its such a good deal, then why can't you have the right to think about it over night ? Get out of the ether of the sales presentation, go home and think about it. Add up ALL the costs of ownership such as the cost of the time share you are considering, as well as the huge interest you'l be paying on the loan. The annual fees, the assessments, the housekeeping fees, the booking charges, the cost of membership in an exchange company such as RCI, the usage costs of an exchange company if you actually try to exchange your timeshare. For example, RCI charges about $90 a year just to be a member, then they charge around $200 to exchange your week ( if they had something to suit your needs, HA ). Do the math here … $400 a year annual dues for the time share for an average week, $90 for the annual dues to the exchange company ( now you've spent $500 or so whether you use your week or not ) then if you make an exchange, add in another $200 and you are up over $700 for your week. Add in the interest on your loan, the loss of interest on the money you've given them as a down payment, the fact that your"investment is depreciating rapidly ( timeshare goes down in value year by year NOT UP ) and for the same money or much less, you could have rented a week anywheres on earth any time you wanted in a rental timeshare or bed and breakfast or what ever you like and NOT be tied to jumping thru the hoops of the timeshare system.

Don't get ripped off, stay far away from timeshare presentations !

Monroe E.
Apr 16, 2010

This was a great post full of truthful information! After nineteen years of being in sales I would think posting a truthful post like this was very different for you.

The one problem I see here is the people, most already owners understand most of this. The new people{suckers} that will be taken at one of the resort presentations will not read this because not owning they have no idea of the timeshare forums.

Again a great posting!

PHIL

Phil L.
Apr 16, 2010

Well, I am one of the new people. I just signed a contract and was going through a little buyers remorse and decided to google. I am on day three since I signed and plan to cancel and continue my research. Excellent information.

Jeanette G.
Apr 17, 2010

Thanks and you are truly welcome. Buying timeshare does NOT add up. When you do the math, you can do MUCH better renting than owning and not have your hands tied by the HUGE LACK of availability that sales people either flat lie about or have NO CLUE about. Remember, when you do the math, add up ALL the costs of ownership including the original price you paid, the interest you will pay during the life of your loan, the interest you lose by having your money tied up, the ridiculous depreciation of what you just bought, the annual dues or maintenance fees, additional assessments, the annual dues of joining an exchange like RCI, the usage cost per week of RCI, ALL the additional housekeeping fees, and last but MOST IMPORTANT of ALL is the lack of flexibility and the lack of availability. When you consider all this, you are in a much better situation to rent, including renting unused timeshare.

Richard S.
Apr 19, 2010

Any ideas on reputable brokers to for resale of timeshare? I don't want to make any money. Just don't want to pay to get rid of my weeks. Would really appreciate some advice if you have any. Thanks!

Kelly P.
Apr 20, 2010

In my humble opinion, there are NO SUCH THING as an HONEST resale broker. They are ALL a bunch of thieves. Each and every one of them. They all want a huge fee UP FRONT, which is their commissions. Once they have that in their greedy lil' fingers, your resale contract goes on a pile of other resale contracts and there it will sit for as much as years.

The only chance you have is to find a reseller who will take your deal for no more that a couple hundred dollars up front and by that I refer to $200 - $400 and NOT a penny more than that. Be VERY VERY careful about that. Read the fine print CAREFULLY !!! That way they remain motivated to sell your deal to make the lionshare of their profits. DON'T GET SUCKERED INTO GIVING THEM ANY MORE THAN THAT UP FRONT ! AND NEVER GIVE AWAY YOUR RIGHT TO SELL THE WEEK ON YOUR OWN AND PAY NOTHING TO THEM.

If I were you, I would simply research on Craigs List and Ebay to see what my week was selling for there and then list it there 10% or so less than the cheapest priced one. Thats how I sold mine and it took only two weeks.

Hope that helped you. Feel free to ask any more questions or ask me my thoughts on any reller's deal that you might be considering.

Regards,

Monroe

Richard S.

Last edited by richards767 on Apr 20, 2010 07:33 AM

Apr 20, 2010

I wouldn't give any upfront fee scam company any money whatsoever .... $200 - $400 is a lot of money to throw away and that's what she'd be doing.

R P.
Apr 20, 2010

Monroe,

Thanks for your advice. $200-$400 is a lot more reasonable than our maintenance fees, so I'd be willing to pay that. However, I've done some research on my timeshare on ebay and I can tell you I don't think it's worth anything. It's an RVC Gold Even floating week worth 50,000 (25,000 annually) RCI points, so it's not actually in a specific location in Mexico. It used to be a deeded week at Club Regina in Puerto Vallarta, but that's another long story. It's no longer a deeded timeshare. My other timeshares are a 3 bedroom 3 bath fixed deeded weeks at Leila Playa, Mijas Costa, Spain.

Thanks Kelly

Kelly P.
Apr 20, 2010

jeanetteg26 wrote:
Well, I am one of the new people. I just signed a contract and was going through a little buyers remorse and decided to google. I am on day three since I signed and plan to cancel and continue my research. Excellent information.

Jeanette your one of the smarter people by getting on forums and looking for answers. Would have been better if you had done this before buying though! May I recommend if you now have buyers remorse don't plan on canceling but do it right now! Make sure you get it signed for when they receive your paperwork. Do not e-mail or phone them other than just a backup to your mailing overnight your cancelation paperwork. Make sure you follow the instructions so they have no reason to not cancel your purchase.

PHILL12

Phil L.
Apr 21, 2010

I couldn't agree more. If they honestly had buyers, they don't need to have your cash upfront at all !!!!.. Imagine a real estate broker asking for money up front to list your house ??? I rest my case.

Richard S.
Apr 21, 2010

Jeannette … CANCEL< cancel, cancel RIGHT NOW , as fast as you possibly can. I promise you that you can do better either renting or buying on the resale market on Craigs List or Ebay !!!!

Trust me on this one !

Richard S.
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks Phill ! I may have an opportunity to save some one who just purchased. They may still have their "right of recission"

Richard S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.