Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

has anyone ever dealt with a company called Direct Sales in New York?

Jul 21, 2010

I am new here and trying to sell my timeshare. I get a call out of the blue and this company says they have a buyer for me and send me a contract with only my info on it that I intend to sell to this buyer. It shows that the buyer has put down 20% and the sales price and that if the deal falls through I will get the 20%. After speaking with the sales person I am directed to a supervisor to collect $2000 to start the paperwork. They say I can not get any info on the buyer until this happens. I feel like this is a huge scam but am not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jim

Jim J.
Jul 21, 2010

jimj213 wrote:
I am new here and trying to sell my timeshare. I get a call out of the blue and this company says they have a buyer for me and send me a contract with only my info on it that I intend to sell to this buyer. It shows that the buyer has put down 20% and the sales price and that if the deal falls through I will get the 20%. After speaking with the sales person I am directed to a supervisor to collect $2000 to start the paperwork. They say I can not get any info on the buyer until this happens. I feel like this is a huge scam but am not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jim

There are other posts in these forums about this company --- all are negative.

What you said this company said to you is just a cookie cutter spiel of how all these scams work.

First red flag: they called you "out of the blue".

Secondly: they tell you they "have a buyer" on the line. I am 99.99% sure they have no buyer. That's just a line to paralyze you with excitement so that, when they hit you with the "We just need X amount of dollars upfront", you're not thinking rationally and are ready to part with your money.

Think about this. Why would they need "$2000 to start the paperwork"? That's awfully expensive paperwork.

If they're really insistent that they have a buyer, tell them, in no uncertain terms, that they will get the money from the proceeds of the sale --- not a penny before that. At that point, they will likely either say, "That's not how we do business.", or will hang up.

You choose what you want to do.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.