Timeshare Companies

RCI Class Action suit settlement

Aug 01, 2010

Can someone please tell me if the RCI email we got re: extra week as a settlement for the RCI class action suit? Is it an 'extra' week or do we have to make a deposit to use as an exchange? I've called RCI twice and no one there has been able to give me an answer. The email states: "Your claim form for the RCI class action settlement has been processed and the claim option you selected can be redeemed at any time starting 11 July 2010".

Brenda N.
Aug 02, 2010

brendan71 wrote:
Can someone please tell me if the RCI email we got re: extra week as a settlement for the RCI class action suit? Is it an 'extra' week or do we have to make a deposit to use as an exchange? I've called RCI twice and no one there has been able to give me an answer. The email states: "Your claim form for the RCI class action settlement has been processed and the claim option you selected can be redeemed at any time starting 11 July 2010".

What was the claim option you chose? One of RCI's Extra Vacations, possibly ???? When you call RCI next time ask to speak to a supervisor.

R P.
Aug 02, 2010

brendan71 wrote:

The settlement trinkets offered by RCI certainly did not include any free weeks. There were about five options if I recall correctly, from which you could select ONE. The choices included a one year RCI membership extension, a $20 discount on ONE exchange fee, a cruise "discount voucher" and a few other non-memorable, low value items --- NONE of which would (or will) actually cost RCI anything "out of pocket" and none being worth more than about $20, maximum.

You could easily view all details of the settlement, including specific identification of ALL the individual "pick only one" trinkets offered by RCI, by conducting a search here on the RCI lawsuit. I believe that most of those threads and posts are found within the General Discussion forum.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 02, 2010 04:51 PM

Aug 03, 2010

Thanks, I found what I was looking for on the website, you're right, RCI offered nothing substantial, not even a free week which I was expecting, a mere $20 item wasn't what I call 'a settlement'.....shame on the attornies for selling us out....again. I don't know how RCI gets by with such shannigans.

Brenda N.
Aug 03, 2010

brendan71 wrote:
I don't know how RCI gets by with such shenanigans.
Because they CAN, very simply stated....

The lawsuit was originally initiated against RCI back in 2005 because of the (back then) relatively new RCI practice of renting out the best RCI deposits to the general public, instead of making those prime deposits available to RCI members as "exchange" inventory.

The results of the Murillo vs. RCI lawsuit make it quite clear (with only a very minor modification which lasts for only 36 months) that RCI can (and will) do whatever RCI darn well pleases with any and all deposits received by RCI.

RCI exchange business is reportedly off by more than 25% in the past year, while Interval International exchange business is reportedly up by 28% during that same time frame. One would like to believe that more people "voting with their feet" might actually make a difference, but overall RCI profits are actually WAY UP, so it's very clear that RCI can just openly thumb their noses at RCI exchangers, including any and all members who just drop their RCI memberships, while STILL greatly increasing overall RCI profits.

RCI is not the only exchange game in town, but RCI still has more exchange inventory than anyone else, although the quality of available RCI exchange inventory is (and will now forever remain) of considerably lower quality than what was available in years past. In short summary, the glory days of years past in exchanging with RCI are now officially just a fading fond memory and a historical footnote.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 04, 2010 06:14 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.