Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

HELP!. Rid of timeshare

Sep 04, 2010

i want to give away my timeshare for FREE and dont mind paying for the process/paperwork involve. i need the most cost effective reputable company that will do the work. i have been burn once for listing to resell. now i found redweek and asking for help. Can someone please refer me a reputable company that can take away my timeshare with a small fee. thanks

Bill C.
Sep 05, 2010

billc364 wrote:
i want to give away my timeshare for FREE and dont mind paying for the process/paperwork involve. i need the most cost effective reputable company that will do the work. i have been burn once for listing to resell. now i found redweek and asking for help. Can someone please refer me a reputable company that can take away my timeshare with a small fee. thanks

There's really no easy answer to your question. A timeshare is worth only what someone is willing to pay and in this economy many timeshares can't even be given away. You could try posting your timeshare in Redweek's Bargain Basement and offer to pay all closing fees .... make sure your maintenance fees are paid up to date.

Also, there are companies called Post Card Companies that say they will take your timeshare off your hands for a fee of approximately $3500 by using power of attorney then turn around and list it on Ebay auctions for $1, however be aware that some postcard companies fail to actually transfer ownership and people are still billed yearly maintenance fees.

A reputable transfer company (should you find a taker) is www.timesharetransfer.com .

R P.
Sep 05, 2010

hi jayjay have you heard of florida veterans association. are they reputable/legitamite company. they require me to pay around $500 and a $275 closing cost and whatever the resort charges for title transfer. also what about donate for a cause. they want to charge me around $2000 to take the timeshare off my hands. please give me your input on these two companies. thanks bill

Bill C.
Sep 05, 2010

billc364 wrote:
hi jayjay have you heard of florida veterans association. are they reputable/legitamite company. they require me to pay around $500 and a $275 closing cost and whatever the resort charges for title transfer. also what about donate for a cause. they want to charge me around $2000 to take the timeshare off my hands. please give me your input on these two companies. thanks bill

I'm not JJ but here's some advice. If you go the Florida Veterans Association route, make sure that they actually transfer it out of your name. I don't know if you've ever checked out tugbbs.com but those forums have many threads about charities taking over timeshares.

You'll also see suggestions on how to try to give away your unit.

As for that company that's charging you $2000, frankly, fuhgetaboutit! It's likely a scam where it will claim to take your unit off your hands but then only assume Power of Attorney (long story short: you'll likely still be stuck paying the maintenance fees).

Think about this: $2000 is probably about 3 years' maintenance fees. Pay those fees over the 3 years as opposed to all of it now. Then, during those 3 years, try to give it away (again, check out tugbbs.com). If you can't give it away, try renting it out for about 75-80% of your maintenance fees to at least recoup some money. Or (without trying to sound like a timeshare salesperson) you're likely to take at least one vacation in those three years. Try using or exchanging your unit.

As for Donate For A Cause, there have been many threads about how various charities try to mislead you about the tax value of "donating" your unit. Don't be fooled by their claims.

Lance C.
Sep 06, 2010

Also, charities will only take what's resaleable = supply and demand of week owned and popularity of the resort.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.