Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Can I represent my Father as the 'owner' of the timeshare?

Dec 06, 2010

My Dad is getting on in years and has asked for my help renting some weeks that he has reserved. In the 'do's and don'ts' section on this site it states that you must be the owner to post the ad. My Dad is the actual owner, but I am representing him. I'd like to make sure there are no issues there before my signing up and posting ads. I don't see an easy 'contact us' email or phone number. Does anyone know if this is a problem or have a contact number or email to refer me to before I go for it? Thanks!

Heidi R.
Dec 07, 2010

heidir41 wrote:
My Dad is getting on in years and has asked for my help renting some weeks that he has reserved. In the 'do's and don'ts' section on this site it states that you must be the owner to post the ad. My Dad is the actual owner, but I am representing him. I'd like to make sure there are no issues there before my signing up and posting ads. I don't see an easy 'contact us' email or phone number. Does anyone know if this is a problem or have a contact number or email to refer me to before I go for it? Thanks!
There is no legal problem whatsoever with you representing your father, just as long as you are doing so with his advance knowledge and authorization (something which need only be a private matter between the two of you).

A SMART renter will ALWAYS contact the resort, directly and independently, to CONFIRM with the resort the identity and address of the owner of record (provided by you first; a resort will VERIFY but will never RELEASE such info) for the particular week(s) being rented. Accordingly, you should be forthright in telling renters that you are actually representing your father, the ACTUAL owner, whose name is (insert name) of (insert town, state) at his request . This way, when the renter calls to verify the owner info you provided, there will be an indisputable "match" with that owner info. This will be particularly important if, for example, you are married and perhaps now have a last name and /or address which is different from that of your Dad.

Also, I would strongly recommend that the rental agreements (...and yes, you SHOULD execute one with each and every renter...) have your father's name and address (not yours) in them, reflecting the actual owner identity, even if you are handling the actual mailings. You can sign "for" him as his authorized representative, and can use your own address just for mailings, but it is HIS name and address (...NOT yours) which should be reflected within the agreement content as HE (...NOT you) is the lawful owner of record.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 07, 2010 07:05 AM

Dec 07, 2010

heidir41 wrote:

You also might consider getting a 'power of attorney' in order to take care of all your father's business affairs.

Go to the end of this page ..... there is a place you can click to 'contact Redweek'.

Good luck, but remember in this down economy to price your father's rentals competitvely.

R P.
Dec 07, 2010

Thank you both! These replies were very helpful :-)

Heidi R.
Dec 11, 2010

I am here at my mothers timeshare now in the same situation they said in order for me to act on behalf of my mother that I need to call owner services and have her write a letter giving me authorization and has to be done every year. Worth checking into as for rentals I don't know but when it comes to the actual making reservations I would suggest you check into it further.

Stephanie C.
Dec 12, 2010

stephaniec191 wrote:
Worth checking into as for rentals I don't know but when it comes to the actual making reservations I would suggest you check into it further.
The legalities of parental representation for rentals have already been clearly addressed above in specific detail, so there is little or no need to "check into it further".

After conducting the aforementioned rental and the associated written agreement, it is also important to remember to notify the resort (in writing, well in advance) of the identity of the "substitute" occupant for the reserved week. The resort does NOT need to possess (or ever even see) a copy of your rental agreement with someone else, but (as mentioned in the preceding post) the resort DOES at least need to have some form of written authorization FROM THE ACTUAL OWNER for anyone besides the OWNER to make float reservations in the first place, for example. For a fixed week ownership, the resort need ONLY be notified (in advance, in writing, by the owner or overtly authorized owner representative) of the identity of any non-owner occupant(s).

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 12, 2010 05:49 AM

Dec 12, 2010

Ok Ken, Sounds like you know I will keep my mouth shut

Stephanie C.
Dec 12, 2010

stephaniec191 wrote:
Ok Ken, Sounds like you know I will keep my mouth shut
I do indeed know, but I intended no offense (nor any criticism of your input). I just didn't want the OP to unnecessarily waste time and / or effort "reinventing the wheel", so to speak...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 12, 2010 11:07 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.