Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying another time share so i can exchange? Smart or not so smart?

Feb 08, 2011

I purchased 4 days at Planet Hollywood Westgate in 2008. I can only exchange within westgate give them my 4 days and they will give me a week.

However, Westgate is limited to only a fe places, and most o them are dated.

Do you think its smart for me to purchase another week maybe with marriot or another company?

So i will be able to exchange with other timeshare companies and make the TS work for me?

I like the marriott Grande Vista, but the maint seems high, o n ebay i see some selling or 1800 but the maint is 991...

any suggestions

Nadia G.
Feb 09, 2011

nadiag12 wrote:
Do you think its smart for me to purchase another week maybe with marriot or another company?

So i will be able to exchange with other timeshare companies and make the TS work for me?

Buying ONLY to exchange is outright foolish, in my opinion. Exchange company rules and costs change all the time and will always continue to do so. Do you really want to take on still another annual maintence fee obligation, just so that you can MAYBE (and ONLY maybe) exchange into something else when and where you can actually go there, IF space is even available?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 09, 2011 05:27 AM

Feb 09, 2011

Well no I dont. LOL

But It would be so nice to be able to exchange to some of those nice places that I see, I guess, I betta opt to the Getaways that II (interval Interational)

They normally have great get aways. like 500 a week for Hawaii and other noce places (just an example)

I was thinking of joining RCI as a member, To take advantage of there get aways as well

The rentals on here are kinda pricey but very good if you are not a TS holder to take advantage of the get a ways with II and RCI

Nadia G.
Feb 09, 2011

nadiag12 wrote:
Well no I dont. LOL

But It would be so nice to be able to exchange to some of those nice places that I see, I guess, I betta opt to the Getaways that II (interval Interational)

They normally have great get aways. like 500 a week for Hawaii and other noce places (just an example)

I was thinking of joining RCI as a member, To take advantage of there get aways as well

The rentals on here are kinda pricey but very good if you are not a TS holder to take advantage of the get a ways with II and RCI

In this day and time when timeshares are at their lowest in history (just look at all the $1 timeshares on Ebay and the many owners giving away their timeshares) .... the entire future of the industy is in question, I would not take on the responsibility (rising maintenance fees, possible special assessments, surprises etc) of another timeshare.

As far as rental prices on Redweek .... they are not set in stone .... you can always negotiate with the owner of the ad. That's one of the good things about Redweek, you can negotiate a rental with an owner without all the hassles that go along with ownership.

BTW, I would NOT join RCI just for the get-a-ways or any other supposed perks ..... it's a whole new day in the world of timeshare .... it ain't what it used to be ..... RENT instead ..... I shudder to think of what you paid for your 4 days at Planet Hollywood.

R P.
Feb 10, 2011

we paid 10,000

180 a month

200 HOA odd year

4 days

Nadia G.

Last edited by nadiag12 on Feb 10, 2011 07:21 AM

Feb 10, 2011

Only reason to ever buy a timeshare is because your family loves going to that resort ! When you buy for this reason then one option is exchanging which should be second on your reason for buying and last is to try and rent.

We bought a second timeshare just to exchange every other year. As we love our resort and going to Lake Tahoe each year we bought a second unit at our resort for even years. This way we could use one unit every even year and exchange the other if we wanted to go some place different that year.

Most times we found we used both weeks at our resort and still didn't exchange. One good part of owning two units at our resort was you make your picks 24 months out while one owner families pick 23 months out so we had our first choice every year. We let the resort rent one unit couple years ago and made good profit.

We found that owning two units now that our daughter move to Texas was a waste and we sold one while up there for our July 4th week to another owner who was buying for same reasons we bought the second unit. Now we can go and if second trip wanted we can just grab bonus days at great price.

PHILL12

Phil L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.